PDA

View Full Version : Extremly timid fish

AndreP
01/03/2009, 03:48 PM
I don't understand why my fish are so timid?As soon as we approach the tank all fishes go hide in the rock.Even the blue chromis who are not supposed to be timid hide betwen the rocks and go out only for eating.The only fish who seems normal is my yellow coris.What could be the problem?Stray voltage? Roaring noise from my tunze pump?Will i need a fish psychologist?

rachenbrazil
01/03/2009, 06:10 PM
what is the tank size ? How long are the fishes in the tank ?

LisaD
01/03/2009, 06:10 PM
how long have you had the fish?

where are they in the house, and how much activity is there?

how long have the fish acted this way?

how is the water quality?

any recent changes? (new fish, equipment, etc.)

AndreP
01/03/2009, 06:45 PM
Almost all of the fish are in the tank since 8 to 10 months.It's a 130g and water quality is great, all parameters are ok except phosphate a little high and dkh around 14.The tank is in the living room and there is not too much activity near it.I think the fish began to act strange near the time i install tunze multicontroler with 2 x 6101.I have the pulse mode 60%-100% and when it pulse at 100% it makes a roaring sound when the top is close.We can hear this roaring noise as far as the second floor...It makes a muffled sound.I don't see anything else.Someone told me it could be stray voltage so i put a ground probe and nothing change.Other idea?

LisaD
01/03/2009, 07:12 PM
have you tried shutting off the multicontroller or turning down the pulse?

AndreP
01/03/2009, 07:34 PM
I tried to change the % but always in the pulse mode.The noise is louder when the % is higher.So i tried at 70%-30% and no difference for the fish but the noise was less perceptible.

seafansar
01/03/2009, 08:13 PM
Do you have one fish that acts crazy/hyper that keeps the other fish on edge? I had a tang that was always freaking out and made all the other fish very shy. After I got rid of the tang, the other fish became friendly again.

AndreP
01/03/2009, 08:33 PM
No. The yellow coris is the only one not shy at all. The worst one is the foxface ,he hides all day long and come out only for eating.The purple tang,tomini and blue hippo swim freely but if we arrive to fast in front of the tank they hide.

tufacody
01/03/2009, 09:13 PM
do you feed often? It sometimes takes a while but eventually all my fish associated presence outside the tank with food.

AndreP
01/03/2009, 09:33 PM
I feed once a day and almost at the same time and they know it for sure because they go out of the rocks.But with the least abrupt movement they hide.

MattL
01/04/2009, 11:30 AM
If you can hear the Tunze, then your fish can hear it. The Tunze is your most likely culprit. Stop the Tunze and see if their behavior changes over a few days to weeks.

What fish are in your tank? This is also important.

Finally, is your tank grounded?

Matt:cool:

AndreP
01/04/2009, 12:49 PM
First i think this is not the pump who make some noise, it is hold by a tunze magnet and i think it's a vibration thru the window and maybe amplified by the close top.

The tank is grounded but i am curious if there is a stray voltage.How do we mesure it?

Fish:6 blue chromis,a couple of tomato clown,1 banded goby,purple tang,tomini tang,blue hippo,yellow coris and a foxface.

MattL
01/04/2009, 07:48 PM
It doesn't matter what makes the noise -- if it is loud enough for you to hear upstairs, it is loud enough to bother the fish.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14072319#post14072319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AndreP
....I think the fish began to act strange near the time i install tunze multicontroler with 2 x 6101.I have the pulse mode 60%-100% and when it pulse at 100% it makes a roaring sound when the top is close.We can hear this roaring noise as far as the second floor..As stated before, it would be a big coincidence if your problems just happened to start at the same time you installed the Tunze Multicontroller. Why not disconnect it and see?

Stop the multicontroller for a day or so, and then check on the fish behavior. If it improves when it is off, you know what your problem is. If not, then something else is wrong.

As for stray voltage, I do not know if stray voltage can be a problem if the tank is grounded. I also do not know how to measure it. Someone else may have to shed more light on that issue. All I was told is that tanks should be grounded. I do not know if this has any impact on stray voltage.

Anyways, before looking into stray voltage, disconnect the Tunze Multicontroller first.

You are also overstocked for a 130gal tank. I don't know how large these fish are, but you could have up to twice as many fish in a tank that small as is optimal. Overstocking certainly cannot be helping you with fish stress. Moreover, if these fish do begin to stress over a prolonged period of time, disease will begin to set in, and in such an overcrowding situation, it will spread quickly, be more severe, and be more difficult to eliminate.

AndreP
01/04/2009, 09:22 PM
I beleive that i will have to resign myself and try to shut off the multicontroler for a few days and see what happen.By the way my fishes are not big and i have seen tank way overstocked than mine...My fishes are shy but in excellent shape...

MattL
01/04/2009, 11:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14080840#post14080840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AndreP
I beleive that i will have to resign myself and try to shut off the multicontroler for a few days and see what happen.By the way my fishes are not big and i have seen tank way overstocked than mine...My fishes are shy but in excellent shape... Whgy resign yourself to it? Just do it.

The issue of overstocking can be saved for later.