PDA

View Full Version : Using carbon and phosphate remover in your SPS tank....

Rathje70
01/03/2009, 03:51 PM
I have a 29 gallon tank with a 11 gallon sump for a total of 40 gallons and was thinking about using some carbon and phosphate remover with using a phosban reactor.

Since my tank is small, I do not believe it is necessary for me to buy a phosban reactor since I do not have room for it anyways. I was planning on adding a media bag with ROX carbon and GFO phosphate remover in my sump where there is a high area of flow.

Just wondering opinions on this stuff and if you think it is necessary? I want a very clean and healthy reef and am considering this.

Thanks,
Rathje70

marineaddict
01/03/2009, 05:13 PM
I run both and have no problems... I'm certainly not an expert on SPS though....

jbird69
01/03/2009, 09:32 PM
I use both in my sump too. I just built little baskets and hung them in high flow areas.

Acezwild
01/04/2009, 11:30 AM
Im using the same product in my 29g for about 4 months now everything is healthy as can be.

Rathje70
01/04/2009, 08:12 PM
How did you make your baskets? I am interested in that.

jbird69
01/04/2009, 11:52 PM
I cut 2" PVC in half lengthwise. I ran that thru my tablesaw multiple times to cut slots in it. (the slots are perpendicular to the length) I cut it just under 10" long which is the width of my sump.

So it is like a half pipe with about 2 dozen saw kerfs in it...kind of a grill of sorts...

I shaped 2 clips out of acrylic and super glued them to the pipe. These clips hang this "basket" just under the water surface on the refugium side of the bubble trap. It hangs on the bubble trap baffle. So all the water passing thru the bubble trap washes thru this basket on its way thru the sump.

I put my carbon and phosban in media bags and just lay em out like logs in the basket.

Hope that makes sence???

Jay

Rathje70
01/05/2009, 10:54 AM
I am thinking about just getting two of those soap dishes that have suction cups and placing the media bags in there. What do you think about that? I was thinking of placing it in my fuge towards the top of the baffle where the water flows over the edge to the return pump section. Would that be good placement?

jbird69
01/05/2009, 11:47 AM
I dont see why that wouldnt work just fine, other than suction cups can be pretty unreliable. Make sure those soap dishes are free of any chemical or soap residue.

Jay

Paul_PSU
01/05/2009, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14083502#post14083502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rathje70
I am thinking about just getting two of those soap dishes that have suction cups and placing the media bags in there. What do you think about that? I was thinking of placing it in my fuge towards the top of the baffle where the water flows over the edge to the return pump section. Would that be good placement?

You will get tons of algae growth on the top side of the bag and then the water would just flow over and not through it. Unless you cleaned them very frequently.

Rathje70
01/05/2009, 12:31 PM
Where would you recommend I put this at? My bubble trap baffles are not far enough apart to place them in there. I could put them where the water enters the fuge through the overflow, there is good flow there, otherwise I could just place them in the back chamber of my biocube.

ERB82
01/05/2009, 12:38 PM
You have no room to run a reactor?

Rathje70
01/05/2009, 03:04 PM
No, the stand on my biocube is full with the refugium underneath, there is nowhere to put the machine. I dont think I necessarily need one for the size of tank that I have.

LCN
01/05/2009, 03:23 PM
Rowaphos is best use in a fluidize reactor. The best one for the money is the GEO reactors. You can also go with the TLF for about $40.

Stanley-Reefer
01/05/2009, 04:30 PM
I just do Kent reef carbon 3d/mon. That's what the directions say.

I use Bluelife phosphate remover in my topoff and change water so that it's constant and no big shock. I change alot of water so it works form e 6gtts/5gal container (enought to treat 10gal)

eswgato
01/05/2009, 09:52 PM
i always wanted to put carbon in my reef .But guy at lfs said not to guess ill try it

Ricunger
01/05/2009, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't run my tank without carbon. But thats just me. Im sure 100's of people run awesome tanks with no carbon at all.