PDA

View Full Version : tank question

jhr917
01/03/2009, 09:29 PM
I have a 30 gallon glass tank that has been set up for a few days with water and rocks. I realized i wanted more filtration so I was planning to take down the tank and drill the tank so i can do the plumbing to add a sump. I am debating to switch the tank to a acrylic tank since i been reading that is it more durable. Since i already have glass tank, i would rather keep using it rather then buying a new tank. How durable are glass tanks? I have filled it up with water, rocks, and sand with no problems, but i am paranoid that the seals might break since the tank has been inactive for a few years prior to this.

46FiatYamaha
01/03/2009, 09:53 PM
you should be fine if the silicone looks good and if it's holding water. An inexpensive alternative to buying another tank (which you shouldn't need to do unless it looks bad or leaks) is to clean off all the old silicone and apply new, which silicone runs for a little under $5 a tube.

Whys
01/03/2009, 10:08 PM
Use REEF-SAFE silicone glue ONLY.

I don't know what you're planning, but glass is generally preferred for reef tanks.

OTCHU
01/04/2009, 02:31 PM
yes, REEF-SAFE silicone glue did working great for me

cwbhawk
01/04/2009, 03:27 PM
Keep the glass tank, Ive never used acrylic, but my uncles acrylic tank always seems to be full of scratches and stains when I see it. If you are worried about the sealant in the tank i would just use silicone sealant.