PDA

View Full Version : Brown SPS

01/04/2009, 07:07 PM
This is what I think I know atm. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

SPS contain a layer of symbiont algae (zooxanthellae) which is brown.

By reducing nitrates and dissolved organic compounds in your water, you starve the zooxanthellae of nutrients revealing the actual colour of the SPS. By increasing the kelvin (like from 6500k to 14k / 20k) you starve the zooxanthellae of PAR which they use to thrive (as in turn brown).

I've seen pictures of wild SPS in Fiji and some of them display amazing colouration.

These corals recieve sunlight which has to penetrate the water which filters out the red spectrum. The deeper the coral, the more closer it is to the 20k kelvin.

Why exactly do they have their symbiont algae (zooxanthellae)?

I got a cheap, brown SPS frag recently and now it's turning hot pink with blue tips. The polyps are still brown atm. I'm going to reduce the detritus in my tank to see if I can get the polyps to colour up too (as in starve the zooxanthellae within them). The polyps may actually be brown though.

I'm just throwing out some thoughts. I've had a few beers :beer:

Happy New Year!

lgndrympterry
01/05/2009, 01:28 AM
What excatly do you mean get rid of the ditritus. I do agree about the SPS and their relationship they have with the zooxanthellae algae, I have 6 VHO with 2 Ice Cap 660 ballast. I recently got my first SPS ACRO frag, in the LFS it was under 14k MH lights, but the store doesnt really take care of their stuff. But anyway it was a greenish color. In my tank under the vho's it has the same color as it did at the store, but its kinda has a brownish color when both spectrums are on when the antics are on it has a real neon green color which is awesome so, my question is will the coral grow undr the VHO's and soon I'll be adding MH lighting so is water temperture fluctuation going to be a huge deal with SPS or mostly ARCO corals? My tank ranges from 79-83 each day right now with the VHO's amd right two fans.

James983
01/05/2009, 08:36 AM
SPS can grow under VHOs. VHOs do not have great PAR however. Keep your light intense SPS up high and you will be fine. I switched from MH to T5 but I almost went with VHOs.

NealNano
01/05/2009, 11:20 AM
A sps browning out can be caused by several things; water quality, lighting too little or too much, stress, a change in lighting, too high po4 ect.

01/12/2009, 01:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14082153#post14082153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lgndrympterry
What excatly do you mean get rid of the ditritus.

I don't have any substrate (BB) so I'm assuming that syphoning out all the detritus (decaying matter) will improve the colour of my SPS. Detritus contains P04 and nitrate which feeds the zooxanthellae. I only had a tiny bit of detritus in my tank yesterday which I removed with a turkey baster.

I don't currently have any fish and I only feed my tiny RBTA a piece of salmon fillet (the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil) once a day. I don't currently skim my tank becauce of my low bioload and I change my GAC once every 2 days (6 spoonfuls in a bag). The systems total volume is about 30g. The only other corals are zoanthids and xenia.

01/12/2009, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14083652#post14083652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NealNano
A sps browning out can be caused by several things; water quality, lighting too little or too much

I run my 250w MH for 2 - 3 hours per day. I have 2 x 24w of T5 actinic on for 6 hours too.

How can too much light cause SPS to brown out? I assumed a lot of light would make them a pastel colour.

chris4869
01/12/2009, 02:28 PM
How big is your tank? I don't have MH, but will 2-3 hours of MH be enough even with 2 T5 on for 6 hours? Love to hear other MH users chime in.

01/12/2009, 02:45 PM
It's 88ltrs with a 60ltr sump/refugium. I'm looking to upgrade soon.

I've read that SPS only need one hour or two of strong light and the rest is overkill (for viewing purposes).

TitusvileSurfer
01/12/2009, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14079660#post14079660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 121
By reducing nitrates and dissolved organic compounds in your water, you starve the zooxanthellae of nutrients revealing the actual colour of the SPS. By increasing the kelvin (like from 6500k to 14k / 20k) you starve the zooxanthellae of PAR which they use to thrive (as in turn brown).

And by intentionally killing the corals zooxanthellae, your coral will begin to bleach (turn white). This is kind of like saying the blood under your skin makes it turn brownish. If I cut off your oxygen supply, you won't produce as much blood, and we can see more of the true color of your skin. But...your going to be a hurting puppy. The zooxanthellae need the coral to provide a suitable home. The coral need the zooxanthellae to give it energy. If you starve out the zooxanthellae your going to have to target feed every one of those individual polyps.

01/12/2009, 07:26 PM
I meant reduce the zooxanthellae not actually kill it all. Isn't this similar to how Zeovit works?