PDA

View Full Version : fish tank room smells musty!?!?

happy_valley
01/05/2009, 12:56 AM
heya folks,

well its the start of another year and the tank is going strong establishing well, but the down side is that before i had my dehumidfier i had a problem with mold/wetness.

i had to tear some wood out of a closet and get some mold killer(spray) to get it all undercontrol. Its all fine and dandy but now i cant get this musty, moldy, and stail smell coming from fish tank room/ office.

i would be nice to air it out but being its usually between 0-10 degrees this time of year, and two young children i cant do that until a nice spring day.

any suggestions please please please help or atleast give me an idear to where the odor could be coming from or how to battle the smell.

thanx a lot

Toddrtrex
01/05/2009, 01:19 AM
Perhaps hook up an exhaust fan (( like the ones in bathrooms )) to draw the stale air out of that room. Would think "clean" air from the rest of the house would be drawn into that room -- to replace the air that is being blown outside -- which should freshen up that room.

Not sure if that would work or not, since I don't have that issue, but just thinking out loud.

Playa-1
01/05/2009, 01:59 AM
Maybe it's your shoes. My fuzzy house slippers are gettin kinda funky, I'm gonna throw them in the washer pretty soon.

:lol:

mbell09
01/05/2009, 07:27 AM
sams club sells this stuff called odoban works well in eliminating odors it is bacterial so there is no chemical smell smells kinda like lilacs it worked for me maybe for you to it is about 15-20 dollars a gal size jug but a little goes a long way just my 2 cents worth

Aqua_POP
04/15/2010, 05:56 AM
Did you recently add live rock. 15-20 years ago my friend and I were both heavy into this hobby. His apartment smelled musty and mine did not. The only difference was that he bought uncured live rock and I bought cured to start up the tanks. He had this rough cedar musty odor to his place and I did not.

No here we are today 20 years later, I'm setting up this new tank for my kids and I go and buy 50 pounds of un-crued live rock. My fish tank room smells like my buddy's apartment. Is it a coincidence?

What is this odor? The box of live rock had wet newspaper in it and it had that odor. I rinsed the stuff well in salt water outside and soaked it for awhile.

I plan to add a large bag of carbon to the tank this afternoon.

thebkramer
04/15/2010, 06:29 AM
Just an idea for a quick fix...could you put a window fan in the room with fish tank? Have window fan facing outside to pull air out of house.
Also...have you checked the rim of your tank? Mold would like to grow there. I also mean under rim from inside tank?
Another thought would be to get some Baking Soda (like Arm & Hammer's FridgenFreezer) and use in fish room for a bit. You'd probably have to get like 10 to help, but there only a $1 so thats not so bad. Good Luck! Its a horrible thing to deal with when you have kids! :)

Shane Hoffman
04/15/2010, 07:11 AM
Where the heck in the USA is it 0 to 10 degrees right now????

dscheidegger
04/15/2010, 07:45 AM
well seeing as it was posted on 1/5/09 about anywhere where it snows haha. I live in ohio and the weather changes every 10 minutes lol. sometimes it snows around this time of year. it sucks

thebkramer
04/15/2010, 10:30 AM
well seeing as it was posted on 1/5/09 about anywhere where it snows haha. I live in ohio and the weather changes every 10 minutes lol. sometimes it snows around this time of year. it sucks

:lmao: NICE catch! I didn't even look! You learn something new everyday! Something else that I just looked right over in this hobby! HAAA!!!

Aqua_POP
04/15/2010, 11:35 AM
I missed it too? Anyways. Today it's sunny and 81 and it's 4/15/2010

dscheidegger
04/15/2010, 06:32 PM
yeah it to the was great! Went to the Columbus Zoo. Munchkin loved the Aquarium.