PDA

View Full Version : B-ionic, kalkwasser, pH, and super-calcification

skimmerdude
01/05/2009, 01:53 PM
So . . .

I was using B-ionic, with kalkwasser top-off, and I thought I was happy with the results, lots of coraline and decent growth of my corals. The only problem was the more B-ionic I added, the LOWER my pH seemed to drop 6-12 hours after the dose (I was using the high pH version).

I also noticed that calcification of my pumps was causing them to clog up and stop every 2-3 weeks or so, even when new ones were placed in the tank. It seemed no matter what I could not keep my pH up with kalkwasser top-off during the night.

I had been gradually increasing the b-ionic dose to get calcium and alk levels I desired and I was dosing mag. I was keeping the calcium in the 420 range, alk in the 10 range and mag in the 1400 range.

The more b-ionic i added the more I needed to add to keep my levels up. Growth of corals was good, but not enough to explain requiring so much b-ionic (40cc + of each component in a 29 biocube). Water changes did not make much difference in things.

I am WAY too tired to check levels right now, but I did a large water change with reefcrystals, and then started dosing only kalkwasser, left for vacation, and now my pH is high-normal 8.3+ most of the time and I don't even have enough time with a pH below 8.3 to add enough top-off water to keep up with evaporation.

What gives? Was b-ionic hurting things?
What is the general opinion on calcium reactors vs. bulk reef supply's 2 part replacement dosed with automated dosing pumps?

Thanks.

Mike O'Brien
01/05/2009, 05:04 PM
IMO it has more to do with the limewater. The higher the alkalinity and the pH, the more precipitation you'll have, both biotic and abiotic. If you can dose the B-ionic slowly through the day, I bet you can get away with a lot less.

bertoni
01/05/2009, 05:07 PM
The high pH version does have the effect of causing precipitation more readily. I use a low-pH DIY equivalent for that reason. Checking the magnesium level might be useful, although that's seldom the problem.

skimmerdude
01/05/2009, 05:14 PM
I am debating on what to use from here on out. I think that trying the low pH version of something similar to what "bulk reef supply" offers might help things out. I also got in the bad habit of dosing too quickly and probably dosing the two components too close together, resulting in precipitation to some degree.

I have gone back and forth about using a calcium reactor vs. a two part solution. Both seem to work.