PDA

View Full Version : Which Angel??

xr4kw
01/05/2009, 05:43 PM
My LFS has both a Flame and a Potters Angel that I really like. Any one easier than the other to keep? LFS said both are eating good and been there about a week, both appear to be healthy (to my eye). My choice would be the Potters if all things are equal.

72G bowfront tank, no aggressive fish, soft corals and some LPS.

Thanks in advance...

myerst2
01/05/2009, 05:46 PM
Basically the same. Depends on where the fish were collected if anything. If they eat well at the store and you QT them then they are basically the same as far as hardiness. T

agreeive?fish
01/05/2009, 05:47 PM
Get both...i would..

kirkaz
01/05/2009, 05:49 PM
Most online dealers would put Potters in the "Expert only" or "Difficult", where as Flame are typically considered "Beginner" or "Easy"....Dwarf Angels do best with lots of healthy LR to graze on, but if both are eating prepared food and look alert and healthy, you might as well get what you want....Do you have any "aggressors" in the tank, Potters are a bit less bold.

xr4kw
01/05/2009, 06:12 PM
All my fish do fine together. I do have a slightly aggressive Blue Damsel come feeding time but they all seem to ignore him for the most part.

I am looking for a fish that will be out in the open though. My last two fish I bought (McCoskers Wrasse and Yellow Watchman) I never see because they hide in the rocks all day.

100+ pounds of live rock.

Thanks...

xr4kw
01/08/2009, 05:09 PM
Bump...Both fish still availible but I went to another LFS and they advised NOT buying ANY Angels (Flame and Potters included) since none are reef safe. Has anyone had any problems with either of these two nipping at LPS and/or zoas.

FYI, this guy didn't know I saw these fish at another LFS, I just brought them up in conversation.

sunfish11
01/08/2009, 05:19 PM
All angels may nip at coral and some individuals can be trouble, but many of us have these small angels in our tanks without any trouble. I have 3 in my 210 reef and 1 in my 34 gallon reef. All of them usually take awhile to become open water swimmers if that ever happens at all. Mine do swim in the open most of the day now, but all were very shy and wove in between the rocks all day at first. You could only catch glimpses of them for quite some time.

Also, the potter's is considered difficult and the flame is considered easy. As long as the potter's is eating then I wouldn't worry as much, but if it isn't, I would stay away from it.

Lisa