PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks naming zoas is good and why?

Timanator
01/05/2009, 06:24 PM
Just for Mucho a new thread!

So, this is a hot topic here for some time. While I do see some people benefiting from it, I think it is much needed unless there is another naming system in place.

So.

I like the Zoa names like Zoaid because.

A. When some one say Nuclear green I can go look and see what it is.
B. I can browse to see what other zoas are out there.

:)

650-IS350
01/05/2009, 06:33 PM
Its only appropriate for " GENERAL ID'ing purposes " not for price gouging.

Its good to know what you have, but in the years like mooch, myself and others have talked about.. Folks have been using these naming fads to the extreme to command $$$$$$$ from people. That is why you will always see a " RARE/NOT SEEN/HARD TO GET/MUST HAVE/COLLECTORS ITEM etc... tag always attached to the cool catchy name. EVEN on ugly A$$ brown buttompolyps.

I use coralpedia/zoa id for general identification to tell people that are buying from me what it is. all of my polyps that I sell go no more than $8 and thats for True Tubs or AOG's. except for PPE's/NG/PDs and such.

southstar066
01/05/2009, 07:31 PM
I agree with the naming for ID reasons so i know what im buying when i see the name. But some of these prices for decent looking zoas is nuts. I think the hard to keep and slow growth zoas like PPEs, Darths Mauls and sopranos should be the pricy ones. not like Purple Hornets that is outrageous for a common zoa that spreads like nuts

jprince58
01/05/2009, 08:01 PM
Names are great for general identification only. The downside, is complete lack of consistency in naming zoanthids. The example I love to give (and there are many, many more out there) is what are locally called a "Scrambled Eggs," but identified on ZoaID as "Impurfects." Depending on who I'm talking to, I have to use the appropriate name so they have a clue what I'm talking about.

Sadly, it's a scrambled and impurfect system, but it's all we got.

Speaking of impurfects, I'm estimating one of my colonies is approaching about 500 polyps.

JazzZero
01/05/2009, 08:13 PM
As long as everyone is on the same page as in there is only 1 gods armor, magicians, RPE, mohawks its good and i love the names they sound pretty cool. But when everyone starts naming them differently even though they are the same or vice-versa it gets really...really...really...annoying....There should be website that can ID zoas and specify them; color of; shirt,core, outer core( outer lining after core), short orextended polyp shirts (ex Mohawks) and etc.

Fishindude88
01/05/2009, 08:18 PM
I too like names for identification purposes. I hate it when people re-name for a profit. Now I'm starting to see "yellow hornets" to go along with the purple hornets fad.

SIR PATRICK
01/05/2009, 10:31 PM
I like the nameing of zoas.

I have and keep a zoa list. Before I found names for them, a long list of this color mouth, this center, and this skirt got really confusing for me. Now that I have found names, I much more easily find what I am looking for and keep track of what I have in the tank for record keeping.

There are many negative drawbacks to the naming of zoas, but for ID purposes, it helps me out greatly.