PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Neon BTA!!

ctniners
01/06/2009, 11:04 PM
Hello guys.....I need advice....let me go to the begining...
On Monday Dec 29th, I went to the store and bought a good looking neon bta....acclimated it and put in my jbj 28 gl nano tank...it started moving around..on saturday 3rd I saw it in the back of the tank....didnt think much about it...On sunday I woke up and saw water all over the floor...wondering why I looked in the back (if you are familiar with this tank, the intake is in the very top of the tank and the filtration is hidden in the back)...well to my surprise the anemone had gone through the intake slots and in the back of the filtration canister..I thought it was dead but when I grabbed it, it stucked to my fingers pretty good so I put it right away back in the tank....I went to the store to get a basket to keep it from rolling around...however, by the time I was back from the store it had gone behing one of the rocks and it grabbed on to a rock and it is hanging upside down.....now that I bored you with the story here are my questions.....

Somehow I see the water level going up...could this be because the bta may be releasing water?.....is this bad news?

The store told me they feeding it krill so i tried to give it a small krill but it didnt take....should I be trying to feed it?

Any advice....I have plenty of light (8 hrs of MH)......should I continue trying to feed it or leave it alone??

Thank you guys

garygb
01/06/2009, 11:12 PM
Neon usually translates to bleached--pics?

Water level going up? If an anemone is under the water, whether it releases water or takes water in isn't going to have any affect whatsoever on the water level.

Don't bother feeding the anemone until is has acclimated and settled in a spot for a few days.

You say "novice." How long has your tank been up and running? What are your parameters? Again, pics might be helpful.

Toddrtrex
01/06/2009, 11:15 PM
Along with all that Gary said/asked....

What watt MH do you have? And what lights was it under at the LFS? If there is a big difference b/t the lights, you will ( or should have ) have to acclimate it to your lights.

ctniners
01/07/2009, 08:27 AM
I have a 28 gl nano cube....with 150 w MH + actinics
at the store it was being kept with PC lights.
My parameters are all zeros....my nitrate is about 5 ppm.....I do not have any corals in the yet, I have 2 clown fish (they are not going near the anemone yet)....I didnt want to introduce any coral until the anemone found a good spot, maybe in a month from now.
I am trying to put a pic but i am having a hard time with the 50kb limit...I will keep trying.
One thing I did forget to mentioned is that the foot looks fine, no rips, the mouth is not exposed...is just hanging there still attached to a rock almost touching the substrate.
About Neon meaning bleaching....I was not aware of this, I have looked up this species and I thought that the neon was one of the common colors.....I guess thats what happens when you are new at this...
So you guys believe that I should leave it alone right?

Garygb....my only reason for mentioning the water level is because the last time I found water on the floor it was when the anemone had gone through the filter canister......I know it was a silly theory but I am trying to figure out what could cause the water level to go up.....I do not have any other equipment that brings water from outside the tank..eg..sump, top off....etc....

Please let me know if you have any inputs on the anemone or the water level.....thanks again for all your help.

Lmecher
01/07/2009, 08:53 AM
picture?

Lmecher
01/07/2009, 08:58 AM
Sorry, I ment to tell you use photobucket, you don't need to resize and it is easy as pie.
Upload photo, under photo in your album copy the IMG code.
On RC click "post reply" not quick reply and just paste the IMG code in your reply. If I can do it you definately can!