PDA

View Full Version : Pairing a b&w with a maroon?

LulusMoogle
01/07/2009, 12:23 AM
I have a black and white clown currently in my 30g. Supposedly not an ocellaris, but wild-caught from Australia. She's been in there for... about 3 months now and gets along great with other tank inhabitants.

I'm wondering if pairing her with a small, juvenile maroon will work? I think it was here that I read that maroon clown pair differently than other clownfish...?

Will the pair work?

Thanks in advance. :)

Toddrtrex
01/07/2009, 01:02 AM
Personally I wouldn't try it, but that is because I don't like mixing clown species.

As for it not being an ocellaris, can't say for sure with out a picture, but it being a black and white from Australia, I would say that it is an ocellaris.

Ninong
01/07/2009, 10:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14097198#post14097198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LulusMoogle
I have a black and white clown currently in my 30g. Supposedly not an ocellaris, but wild-caught from Australia.
If it's wild-caught from Northern Australia, then it's probably the black and white strain of Amphiprion ocellaris found naturally in the Darwin area.

I'm wondering if pairing her with a small, juvenile maroon will work? I think it was here that I read that maroon clown pair differently than other clownfish...?

Will the pair work?
I think that would be a bad idea. Besides, a 30-gal tank is rather small for a maroon clown (Premnas biaculeatus).

If you're asking if they would ever become a pair, as in "mated pair," the answer is no.

:)

LulusMoogle
01/07/2009, 06:13 PM
Okay. Thank you both. That's what I thought. It's a shame, but I think it would've been cool.

Oh well. :)

gkimble
01/07/2009, 10:49 PM
NO NO NO!!!! Maroons are mean bastards

kerusso316
01/08/2009, 12:04 AM
Dont do it ....the B&W is a female now.... when you put the GSM in it will grow larger than the B&W.Then they will both be female.The GSM will kill the B&W.

LulusMoogle
01/08/2009, 04:41 PM
Ah, yes. That is true...

Maroons are mean and I've had one before, but they're adorable. :D

rkelman
01/08/2009, 06:51 PM
"the B&W is a female now...."

How do you figure?

kerusso316
01/09/2009, 12:29 AM
3 months alone.I would not risk it.He also stated it was wild caught.I dont think so...If so.. I would love to buy that fish.The pairing can be done however IME it must happen from a vuvi state.The GSM will become female the O will be male.The only O x GSM I have seen is at inland Aquatics.They are C-quest bread fish.

thecoralreef
01/31/2009, 08:11 AM
IME you could possibly pair these up, even if the ocellaris is the female. I would watch the fish to make sure one doesn't beat the other up to death. If the ocellaris is indeed a female (hard to tell) I would find the smallest maroon possible. IF they pair, it is possible the maroon will stay smaller then the ocellaris. In my pair, the ocellaris is the female and the maroon is the male and considerably smaller.