PDA

View Full Version : pearlscale butterfly

Ncastro1981
01/07/2009, 09:22 AM
So I amde a mistake and took a friends pearlscale butterfly since he was shutting down his system. He had said he had no issues in his reef with it. Well thats not the case for me, and he decides one day to much on some closed brain, then another to chomp on some zoo's. Now I cant catch him and rock removal is not an option. I dont like the idea of "fishing" it out as there would be no way to keep the other fish off the line. I am getting to the point of xenicide, and have debated (this is where i am going to get hell from all sorts of people) buying a blow dart gun as it may be my only option (i really dont think i would ever go to this level but you can see how frustrated i am getting). Seriously, how can i remove this fish, he hides at the first sight of net... although i have 'almost' caught him a couple of times he seems to be able to avoid captivity like murdof.

MattL
01/07/2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't advise the blow dart gun, not just because it is animal cruelty, but from the near certainty that you won't kill him on the initial strike, whereby terrified, he will go in your rocks and die.

There are two main approaches to getting a fish out: 1) you go after him, or 2) wait for him to come to you. the second option, of course, requires a greater deal of patience.

As for the first option, I don't know what your tank is like. Are you sure you can't remove just some rocks? Draining the water is a very easy way to limit a fish's movement. If you leave just enough water off the sandbed to keep your fish submerged (on their sides), and you can move some rocks, you may be able to grab him. This is the method I often use (I don't want to be bothered waiting around). I also have my rockwork divided into segments, so that dividers can be inserted into the tank when doing an extraction. Live rock and corals can live for several minutes out of water, especially live rock. You can also have a helped pour a dixie cup of tank water over colonies to keep them hydrated if you're taking a long time. The only thing required is a large enough container to hold all your tank water, and a pump capable of returning that water in a few minutes' time. You a large diameter tube for a rapid syphon.

Then there is the second approach: waiting for the fish to come to you.

I have never tried fishing them out. Freezing mysis to a hook apparently works very well. You may have to deal with hooking other fish.

Using a fish trap, either DIY or commercial, I think is the method that has the greatest success. However, with a timid fish, it may take a very long time to get the fish to become used to the trap, and willing to go in it for food. Likewise, leaving a large net in the tank for a period of time works, and you just slam it against the glass when he is in it.

Matt:cool:

Ncastro1981
01/07/2009, 10:34 AM
thanks. I was actually thinking of a bunch of netting then folding it up in the front of the tank. then feed the tank and when the fish come out to eat i could have some string tied to either end of the netting and the other two corners weighted down in the front two corners of the tank. then all i have to do is pull the net up and i have everything sepperated from swimming back into the rock work. at which point i could just use a normal net and pull it out. I just dont know where to buy netting like that that would work...any ideas? do you think this might work?

Ncastro1981
01/07/2009, 10:35 AM
and just so you know i had no intention of 'blow darting' the fish. was frustrated and had been watching dicovery, and some tribesman were doing this to catch food to eat and I thought, if all else fails :) but i think there are still many other possabilities.

just hanging
01/07/2009, 11:06 PM
sein net they use for bait fish would be great for idea of traping of a coner look it up ;)

will16
01/08/2009, 12:37 AM
I just recently fished out a few fish. They were all fine. Crush the hook so there is no barb. Don't feed the tank for a day and they will go right for it. As you mentioned, the hardest part hooking the wrong fish. Since you say he hides from the net, that could work for you. I had the same problem with a Kole tang. I ended up having a friend put mysis in a net and start feeding on one end of the tank. Let a little out at a time so the other fish get to eat but make sure your target fish doesnt get any. While all the other fish were distracted, I put the hook in the other side and waited. Keep a close eye and pull out if another fish goes for it but you should eventually get the one you want. Once he's hooked just pull him out and take out the hook. Hook is actually in his mouth for maybe 5 seconds.

Good luck

Ncastro1981
01/08/2009, 08:30 AM
hmm maybe i will try that since i can find the netting i want....

..wp..
01/08/2009, 04:27 PM
I was driving myself crazy trying to catch a butterfly out of my reef that got a sudden taste for my sps. I decided to make a diy fish trap out of a plastic water bottle (or 2 liter bottle). I just cut the top off, made an opening just bug enough for the butterfly to get in and placed the top piece I had cut off inside the main part of the bottle so the fish can swim in but its harder for it to get out (hopefully that makes sense). I put some thawed mysis inside and within 5 minutes of investigating the butterfly was inside the bottle picking at the food. I quickly covered the entrance to the bottle with a net just to make sure he wouldn't sneak out and I had him!!! I was amazed at how fast and simple it worked.

MattL
01/08/2009, 04:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14109821#post14109821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ..wp..
I was driving myself crazy trying to catch a butterfly out of my reef that got a sudden taste for my sps. I decided to make a diy fish trap out of a plastic water bottle (or 2 liter bottle). I just cut the top off, made an opening just bug enough for the butterfly to get in and placed the top piece I had cut off inside the main part of the bottle so the fish can swim in but its harder for it to get out (hopefully that makes sense). I put some thawed mysis inside and within 5 minutes of investigating the butterfly was inside the bottle picking at the food. I quickly covered the entrance to the bottle with a net just to make sure he wouldn't sneak out and I had him!!! I was amazed at how fast and simple it worked. That's an awesome idea!

If startled, they'll head for the edges -- fish Psychology 101!!!

Matt:cool:

Ncastro1981
01/08/2009, 06:35 PM
well that would have worked better than what i did tonight. I removed alot of my reef and finally caught him. I placed him in my sump for now. And if i dont find anyone who wants it i will see if i can trade him in at one of the lfs. And they sure do, i had to have 2 nets in there and i made some plexi plates for creating barriers. I wasnt going to pull it apart but had a few sps arrive today and had my wife put them in the sump (i was at work) well she caused a flood, lost 5 gal h2o and she shut it down till i got home. figured now or never eh