PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions

tonyjb29
01/07/2009, 11:18 AM
Okay.. so i have a 5 1/2 nano semi populated ,I have that internal filter all black one real simple with a overflow.courser substrate usually what people use in there calcium reactors. no fish, strong halide 70w.So my problem is my nitrates are through the roof, phosphate high, but everything else is OK. I did about a 1/3 water change yesterday to try help alleviate the nitrate but no sign of change.tank is about 1yr old.was not on top of it before but need to change that. and i am using a phosphate removal cant remember name, but well liked and expensive ( brown stuff ).and I don't run a skimmer, and my future plans will have a sump ,and I already have new tank ready and sump just waiting till I move.

Well my thoughts are 1) remove the substrate all together . 2) remove current substrate and replace with sand substrate 2, then the question is should i go deep or shallow? 3) if i decide a sand bed just front of tank and not under rocks? 3) just continue water changes daily till declined nitrate.

And I am not sure because of lack of filtration would removing the substrate be to detrimental for the system?

Thanks for reading, sorry it is long, any advice would help..

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/27/831428/115_1361.JPG

nukemdanno
01/07/2009, 12:15 PM
I would start with examining your filtration set-up..is there an area where you have detrious accumilating. You could also get a skimmer. Are you feeding your corals. Maybe it's too much. I'm sorry I don't have experience with nanos. But the premise is still the same....you have to remove what you put in. I'd also check with the folks in the nano forum and look at their setups.

spw4949
01/07/2009, 12:16 PM
How long has the tank been up & running? Cool looking tank, nice set-up....

tonyjb29
01/08/2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your comments, although due to high nitrate it does not look this nice :( , so i decide to basically swap the course substrate out and put in a deep fine sand bed, and left a smudge of the old to help populate. been doing a water change everyday and almost there, but my nitrate is still at like 80ppm from 200ppm plus.so its on its way at least.5 1/2 gal so i cant just pop a skimmer on there really tat wil at least do something.