PDA

View Full Version : Scribbled Angel

jonnydalejunior
01/07/2009, 05:32 PM
A fish store has a Scribbled Angel for sale but it has popeye in both eyes.
it looks fat and clear of outside visable parasites. they claim it is eating clam in the half shell, but i did not see this myself.
my question is in all my years of Keeping i have never encountered or dealt with Popeye, and want to know if there is a high succes rate in fighting double popeye in this type of fish.

the fish is currently in a ~20 gallon tank with copper and several tankmates, all smaller. so i would say it is a highly stressful enviornment.
if i was to but it it would go in a large QT alone and then in to my 400G display after heatlthy.
Any advise?

mandynm
01/07/2009, 06:45 PM
I don't know, but depending on the price, I'd pay it and just do the standard QT on it. I've been scouring all over trying to find a smaller one, without any luck.

jrobison
01/07/2009, 06:46 PM
if you have a qt and can house it alone it is worth a try if it is cheap enough, i would read on wetwebmedia.com about poeye, which I think isn't the worst thing to have and see what they recommend. Good luck

JamesJR
01/07/2009, 07:31 PM
Fish get popeye for one of two reasons. Either they got an infections or they got it from an injury. Was there any other fish harassing it?

I had a pair of Black saddle clown and the male had a case of popeye that didn't go away after several months. I finally quarantined him and gave the pair a treatment of Maracyn 2 for saltwater fish and it healed up right away. My experience with is that some fish are probe to catching it and it is isn't necessarily a cause for alarm.

But if I was to buy this fish I would probably quarantine it and give it a standard treatment of nitrofurazone and possibly copper. These fish take quite a beating in transit and often arrive in very fragile condition.

flameangel88
01/07/2009, 08:08 PM
By the time after taking into account of time and cost of med you are better off paying a premium for a healthy fish instead. When we buy online most of the time we don't get to see the condition of the fish but now you're seeing it at lfs and paying a premium at the retail level for a sick fish?

Maracyn II worked great on a Bellus that came in from mail order with pop eye condition.

jonnydalejunior
01/07/2009, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14103485#post14103485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88
By the time after taking into account of time and cost of med you are better off paying a premium for a healthy fish instead. When we buy online most of the time we don't get to see the condition of the fish but now you're seeing it at lfs and paying a premium at the retail level for a sick fish?

Maracyn II worked great on a Bellus that came in from mail order with pop eye condition.
i would not be pay a "premium" price for it.

a large part of it is that i would like try to save this fish if i have a good chance at it.
saving a fish that is local and savable is worth it to me, about as much as buying an already healthy one in a nice holding system for an online dealer, because i think the online fish are more likely to end up in a good home than is a fish fore sale locally.
i am just trying to figure out what kind odds i have at success with this guy.

jnc914
01/07/2009, 08:47 PM
The popeye is likely from poor water quality. I have had fish come in with popeyes and have improved when placed in a clean, mature tank. If it doesn't clear up I would use Marycyn II. Is it male or female? Males are pricier, so if you are able to get it less than a "premium" price I say buy it, Qt it, and use appropriate medication to address the popeye.

MattL
01/07/2009, 09:06 PM
This is a difficult issue.

You sound like you can save this fish, or at least give it as good of a chance as possible.

However!

At the same time, you are rewarding a LFS (and their distributor and their collector) for their practices, and another fish will be caught to take its place.

My advice is that if it isn't blind, and you see it eat, then offer to give it a try, but at a vastly reduced price.

Matt:cool:

krazykarel
01/07/2009, 09:14 PM
I agree with MattL...if you can get a steal of a deal take it. If not, don't reward the LFS for poorly taking care of their fish (if this is the case).

klasiksb
01/07/2009, 09:50 PM
First I would want to see it eat. IME they can be a challange to get to eat. If it is eating, go for it. Popeye is easily cured in a healthy inviroment.

jonnydalejunior
01/07/2009, 11:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14104410#post14104410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klasiksb
First I would want to see it eat. IME they can be a challange to get to eat. If it is eating, go for it. Popeye is easily cured in a healthy inviroment.
this was my gut feeling too. i didnt have time to stay and watch it eat and before i got myself to "involved" with this fish (they can tugg at the ol heart strings) i wanted to find out if it seemed like it was able to be saved. i will go back tomorrow, and observe it for a while tomorrow, and watch it eat, and try to inspect it closer. if all is good i will make my offer and take it home and set up my QT using my 55G and water from my display tank.
i usually set up the QT with water from the display, plastic corals for hiding, and a little filter. i do frequent small water changes.

HomeSlizzice
01/08/2009, 12:37 AM
krazykarel, Cool Avatar

zemuron114
01/08/2009, 01:47 AM
pop eye on one eye = infection, pop eye on 2 eyes = stressful/crappy water. ask them to give it to you and you will pay for it if it lives... it is going to die with 2 pop eyes at the store... worth a shot