PDA

View Full Version : now what...?

LMB
01/07/2009, 08:36 PM
ok so i have my tank set up for about 4 months, yellow stripe maroon clown fish came down with some type of fungus. wasnt ich. freshwater dipped him in cuppermine, some stuff came off but this cottony goatee he had didnt. so i set up a small QT tank and have been treating him in there with non antibiotic stuff called lifegaurd made by instant ocean...works good, cotton fungus is gone. i will continue treating for the rest of this week. this is week 2. now in the main tank it looks like my coral beauty and royal gramma are showing "spots" on their heads like clown did... i will never be able to catch them without tearing down tank cause they are to fast of swimmers. is there any treatment i can do in a mini reef, xenia, yellow toadstool, pearl bubble coral, mushrooms, and some green poylps and brown star poylps. skunk cleaner shrimp and cleaning crew and 2 neon gobies. 46 bow. help

Keith A
01/07/2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure what other people would think about this but another part of a QT is a lower salinity (outside of medicine or copper). About 1.010 - 1.012 or so. However, I believe that this would be too low for your corals to handle so you may not want to go that low. I'm not sure what the lowest salinity corals can handle is but maybe ask some people and see what you could find out. Keep in mind, a good QT time at the very least is 3-4 weeks. Could you move the corals to another tank for the time being and lower the salinity in your display tank or do you have too many corals?

wrott
01/07/2009, 08:59 PM
If it's the same thing that the clown had, it's probably a bacterial infection--hopefully not ich--maybe a water quality issue.
How long have you had the fish, how long has it been since you added anything that is "live" that could have introduced parasites?
I would do several large water changes using RO/DI--20-30% at a time until it clears up. Are they eating good quality/variety food?
I would maintain SG at 1.026.

krzyphsygy
09/12/2011, 10:04 PM
Did the clown make it? Did the Life Guard work??