PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Dwarf Angel...

boilermaker1
01/08/2009, 01:26 AM
I'm kinda bummed out at the moment.... my Coral Beauty died tonight. He came down with something, or was some how injured, but he started swimming vertically, then pretty much stopped swimming all together, and spent most of the day laying on his side, stopped eating 2 or 3 days ago and that was about the end of it. Maybe it was just his time. I didnt want to move him while he was still eating, with the hopes he'd just pull through it.

I just cant see my tank without one of these guys. Their antics are just too much, my tank is going to be missing something without one.
Looking at a few:
1. Midnight (Nox)
2. Cherub
3. Bicolor

I know there's the standard obligatory flame angel as well, but hey, I like the less popular ones.
I have a 180, so I'm not worried about the size so much as I'm worried about the reef-safety of them. At the moment, I dont have a lot of coral, but to me, its more about the fish anyways.
So lets phrase the question this way.... if they're going to eat coral, what are they most likely to eat? I know its hit or miss, but from reading up, some of them seem to get more of a coral appetite as they get older. I'll take the partial safety play and see what happens. I dont buy expensive corals, so I'll gamble a little.
Am I safer with one than the others? About the same?
Tank mates are
1 Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
1 Zoster's Butterfly
2 Cinnamon Clowns
1 Starry Blenny

At some point in the future, I'd be looking at adding a bunch of small, active fish (not completely sure what yet), but this is a hole that needs to be filled again. I've lost my tank's comic relief.

Gwynhidwy
01/08/2009, 07:30 AM
All are a risk, but the cherub is the least likely to cause serious problems, then the nox, and the bicolor would be my last choice from your list as far as reef safety is concerned.

mskurdah
01/08/2009, 09:41 AM
I've had great luck with my cherub (1+years). Never bothers any coral, never bickers with any tankmates.

sunfish11
01/08/2009, 10:07 AM
I have a coral beauty, a potters, african flame, and a cherub and none of them are coral munchers. The cherub is in a different tank than the other 3.

Lisa

Sheol
01/08/2009, 02:22 PM
I'm a bit biased, since I own the Cherub ( C. argi) myself.
Like you, my Coral beauty suddenly got sick & practically dropped dead. I thing somewhere in the south pacific, fish are being collected with you-know-what!

Matthew

boilermaker1
01/08/2009, 02:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14108910#post14108910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sheol
I'm a bit biased, since I own the Cherub ( C. argi) myself.
Like you, my Coral beauty suddenly got sick & practically dropped dead. I thing somewhere in the south pacific, fish are being collected with you-know-what!

Matthew

I've had him 3+ years... I think thats a quite a while for it to be cyanide, but who knows.
Everyone seems to be happy with their Cherubs, I'll have to look into them more. I know I was looking at them before I got my CB, so maybe I'll pick one up.

Woodward6288
01/08/2009, 06:03 PM
I am looking into a cherub too. I would give it another try at another angel if i were you..

argi
01/08/2009, 07:21 PM
Looking at my screen name you can see I am a fan of the C. argi and had one in my reef tank without any issue. Currently I have an African Flameback and he is also a model citizen.

Not the best picture, but he has a great personality and will almost take food right out of my fingers.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/12356flameback_angel.jpg

SDguy
01/08/2009, 07:39 PM
I had a pair of argis. One was great. The other one ripped apart my acros and gorgs. The perfect example of "total crap shoot" IMO.