PDA

View Full Version : ID this fish

SoulFish
01/08/2009, 01:42 AM
What fish is this? Picked it up today for $10 the LFS didn't know either.http://www.soulfishdesign.com/images/oasis/fish1.JPG

RicksReefs
01/08/2009, 08:32 AM
lantern bass, Serranus annularis

spamreefnew
01/08/2009, 08:59 AM
some kind of hawkfish,,,you can look it up at liveaquaria.com

spleify
01/08/2009, 09:04 AM
Just an FYI, its generally a good idea to know what you are buying BEFORE you actually buy a fish. If you don't know what something is, and your LFS doesn't know(which is a whole other subject), IMO you should either remember what it looks like, or shoot a pic of it with your camera(cell Phone if you have one). Then, go home and research it.

There definitely could be compatibility issues, or in lots of case some fish will not be reef safe. Most fish have different feeding habits, and some just will not eat dry food and you will have to supplement with different foods. Without researching and knowing before you buy, you have no idea what you might be getting yourself into.

Now, don't get me wrong we have all done this at some point when we were getting started in SW, but some had to learn the hard way that the purchase they just made, was not a good decision.

That being said, I have know idea what kind of fish that is or anything about it, so sorry I am no help there.

HTH

Spleify

baldomero
01/08/2009, 09:50 AM
looks like a tobacco bass to me

NirvanaFan
01/08/2009, 11:16 AM
lantern bass

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+1713&pcatid=1713

SoulFish
01/08/2009, 02:38 PM
:) where's the adventure in getting a known fish :)

It's fun to buy a "Mystery" fish ;) Seriously though I have several tanks, if he is problems in one tank then he'll just get moved to one where he wont cause a problem. As far as size, not really a issue since I'm setting up a 180 Gallon and this guy is prolly only like 2"es

And in the event he becomes a big headache.. we'll he'll just have to take a ride back to the LFS.

This may not be possible once I set up the 180 reef though, can't break the whole tank down for a little fish. At the moment it's not a big deal to scoop him out of the 100 or 40 gallon.