PDA

View Full Version : Another Birdsnest Problem

Nanz
01/08/2009, 07:42 AM
I had this birdsnest almost a year and its slowly being overcome by coralline algea. As you can see the bottom part is dark and the top part is pink. Is the coral dying? Is there a way to save it? Should I remove it? Please help if you can. Thanks :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/158010TankFull.jpg

teo reef
01/08/2009, 08:56 AM
Can you get a closer pic of its base?
I ve never heard of coraline "attacking" corals .

Rouselb
01/09/2009, 02:05 PM
Its not coraline, its lack of flow at the base. Birdnest requires a whole lot of flow. Increase the flow and it will color back up. I had the same issue

WaterssretaW
01/09/2009, 02:48 PM
really nice looking birds nest fwiw :-)

troylee
01/09/2009, 02:55 PM
i have a question while we are on the topic....... i have a pink birdsnest i picked up like 2 months ago a big mother colony about the size of a basketball......anyways since i have put it in the tank it has not been doing good well i moved it all around now it sits about 3" below the waters surface and it sits below a 20k 175w mh bulb.....the pink now is starting to fall off in places and the white skeleton is showing??? is there anyway to save this? my water params are good ph 8.2 caclium 350 am0 nitrate 0 nitrite o etc. temp 80 at night 82 in the day......any help would be apreciated....thanks in advance also it has very good flow maybe to much im not sure if this would cause it im wondering if it could be the lights maybe?????need to move it down?

bwest
01/09/2009, 05:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14117389#post14117389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by troylee
i have a question while we are on the topic....... i have a pink birdsnest i picked up like 2 months ago a big mother colony about the size of a basketball......anyways since i have put it in the tank it has not been doing good well i moved it all around now it sits about 3" below the waters surface and it sits below a 20k 175w mh bulb.....the pink now is starting to fall off in places and the white skeleton is showing??? is there anyway to save this? my water params are good ph 8.2 caclium 350 am0 nitrate 0 nitrite o etc. temp 80 at night 82 in the day......any help would be apreciated....thanks in advance also it has very good flow maybe to much im not sure if this would cause it im wondering if it could be the lights maybe?????need to move it down?

If your coral is turning white, I'd say it may be shocked by too much light and you're causing it to bleach. Or if it's tissue that's coming off of the coral, it can be caused by too much direct flow. I don't know what your flow is like, so my guess would be that it is bleaching because of too much light.

Rouselb
01/09/2009, 05:59 PM
i agree, you should try moving it down or raising the lights in this area.

troylee
01/09/2009, 07:00 PM
the actual tissue is coming off it's not really bleaching i will post a pic in a few i have a aqua clear 70 blowing at the wall it's against about 4" of a direct hit on the nest it is in kinda high flow im new to this reefing stuff........thanks for the help...pic coming

troylee
01/09/2009, 07:08 PM
ok here is a photo sorry the quality not the greatest took it with my phone.......
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/aliyasue/work/photo.jpg

sin05_omar
01/09/2009, 08:25 PM
that bird nest is not doing well.... since its receding from the inside i would say its a flow issue?

REEFR ROB
01/10/2009, 12:10 AM
I have a pink birdsnest that did this. Turns out it was getting too much light. It's lower in my tank now and doing much better.

teo reef
01/10/2009, 04:12 AM
I dont think is the intese lighting the cause of his loss.
It must have been something else.
Mine was growing very very fast it was in a place with medium lighting and one day started dying just like yours. I fragged it and now its growing again.

Jkt2001
01/15/2009, 09:40 AM
I have a birdsnest doing the same thing, but instead of it being spread around it is just turning white at the base. The tips are white too but I thought this was just new growth.
It is placed about 3 or 4" below the surface almost directly under a 250 watt 15K and has only been in the tank about a month.
Tested alk last night and it was 9dkh, nitrates undetectable.
Its also not in a extremely high flow area...

Jkt2001
01/16/2009, 07:22 AM
Anyone have an idea on what is wrong?