PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae

meisel1
01/08/2009, 09:53 AM
I have been trying to eradicate bubble algae from my tank with only limited success and I am thinking about hooking up a uv sterilizer and am wondering if that would take care of this problem. I would also like the pros and cons of these units if possible. Any replys or thoughts would be appreicated...cheers

Rockhead21564
01/08/2009, 11:20 AM
No it won't help. There are no studies that have shown any usefullness. They can't clean enough of the water at a time to sterilize. Doesn't help ich either,

Xolsiion
01/08/2009, 11:25 AM
I had an emerald mithrax crab that destroyed my bubble algae as well as hair algae and some sort of tiny brown featherdusters that reproduce like crazy.

After that he went after my GSP - but he cleaned all the algae out first.

IslandCrow
01/08/2009, 11:35 AM
I guess a sterilizer could help to some small degree in that it could take care of any free floating spores, but your algae is going to continue to spread. I had a nice big outbreak on my nano tank when I was deployed for 7 months, and it took me about a month to get it back under control. I still have some bubble algae, and I no doubt always will, but you really have to look to find it. Anyway, here's what I did. Some of it won't be nearly as practical on a larger tank, but it basically comes down to some manual removal and basic reef husbandry:

1) Got back on regular water changes: 15-20% weekly (of course, that's only a couple gallons on a 12g tank)

2) I actually pulled the rock out the first and third week and manually removed as much as I could (again, easier to do in a 12g).

3) I hate starving my fish just because I don't like looking at algae, so I didn't significantly reduce feeding, but I went back to feeding frozen food (homemade and store bought). Flakes were being fed while I was away.

4) I kept the lights off over the weekend (my tank is at work, so that was a convenient time) and reduced the lighting cycle from 12 to 8 hours during the week.

Anyway, I wish I knew more about UV sterilizers to better answer your actual question, but my guess is that it's not going to be of much help.

meisel1
01/08/2009, 11:45 AM
I guess i'll just keep siphoning the clusters out with my water change that I do every week{10%}.

Wgluther
01/08/2009, 12:22 PM
+1 on the Emerald crab. At one time I had a lot of bubble algae bought a Emerald and have absolutley none now. Crab doesn't touch my corals either.