PDA

View Full Version : monti cap glueing?

twelvejewelz
01/08/2009, 09:12 PM
i want to glue a monti cap frag to the back glass of my tank. the tank is filled what can i use to do this? if i use crazy gel glue it hardens as soon as it hits the water can i put hte crazy glue gel tube under water and just squirt alittle while its in place? thanks!

reefwizz
01/08/2009, 09:45 PM
I just use regular super glue, you might have to hold it there for a minute or two, but it works. I wouldn't recommend using the glue underwater because it forms a sticky bubble that you wouldn't want floating around in your tank. Hope this helps. Good luck.

marc nichols
01/09/2009, 08:36 AM
I've had success with a small glob of epoxy putty which I attach to the tank glass with a dab of crazy glue gel. When that is settled, I attach the coral with a dab of gel. the epoxy putty remains formable and conforms to the coral allowing a better bond. This process has served me well for attaching frags to lr too and I use the pink putty which integrates well.

twelvejewelz
01/09/2009, 05:16 PM
the monti cap is already attached to a small piece of LR rubble. so should i just put some super glue on the liverock rubble andhold it against the glass for a few minutes? the problem i have like i said is that it seems the superglue gel hardens as soon as it hits the water...

IFbettas
01/09/2009, 05:27 PM
The glue doesn't really harden when it hits the water, it just looses its stickyness. I first put the glue on the frag, then in the tank, and press the glue on the surface your attaching it to and twist so that the glue which hasn't seen the water can stick. This works for me, and is how I attach all of my frags.

seminolecpa
01/09/2009, 06:26 PM
Yep. As said above make sure to use the gel type superglue and prime (stick a dab on your finger and put it on the spot where you want to attach) where you want to place it. The add glue to the frag and stick to the primed spot. Hold for a couple of minutes and you should be good to go. I can't say I have done it with glass but I do it all the time with rock under water. Have even use it to glue pieces of tonga branch together. The only issue I see with glas is that you are talking about a very smooth surface so it might be a little more tricky.

You could also use form magnetic frag plugs to accomplish what you are looking to do.

jbird69
01/09/2009, 06:33 PM
A quick google search brought up this...

I think I want some!!!

http://chiefreef.com/product.sc;jsessionid=FE87BD4E052BBDF94CD8FD0542C9B5DE.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=4&productId=6

seminolecpa
01/09/2009, 06:45 PM
Yep. Those are similar to what I was talking about.

These are the ones I have used.

http://aqua-mags.com/

twelvejewelz
01/09/2009, 07:35 PM
nice i like the magnetic idea because then i can move it whenever i want to. now can i put any regular old magnet in my tank?will it leach anything harmful?i saw plain magnets at home depot the other day and was wondering about this.thats great

seminolecpa
01/09/2009, 11:57 PM
No you want to make sure they are coated right. I didn't want to mess with it so I bought the predone ones. I am sure they are some FIY's for magnets somewhere on the forums.

twelvejewelz
01/10/2009, 01:42 AM
i think im going to take some aquarium silicone and imbed a magnet into it and stick a bunch of sand and crushed coral on it before it dries and make my own .ill try it tomorrow and let you know how it works out. thanks!

twelvejewelz
01/10/2009, 01:43 AM
...is there some kind of liquid acrylic that will dry into a solid acrylic that i can use?