PDA

View Full Version : potters angel?

kaiboshi
01/08/2009, 10:12 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post here or the reef fish forum because angels aren't necessarily reef safe. Anywho, I was wondering exactly why DFS lists the care level as expert only for Centropyge potteri? I didn't see them listed in the difficult and special care species list or anything. So what's teh dealio?

Jerry W
01/08/2009, 11:25 PM
Many of them are reluctant feeders. Mortality rates tend to be higher for this species than many other centropyges. Find one that is eating well and that's half the battle. I've kept a couple of them. Maybe just lucky but both were good eaters and did well for the time I kept them. I've read accounts that keeping one alive and healthy for over two years was quite an accomplishment.

lesleybird
01/09/2009, 12:10 AM
I don't know, I've had one in my 200 gallon tank with a couple of other large angels for about a year and a half and he eats anything like a pig and has survived ick a couple of times. They have a couple of healthy looking ones on the Liveaquaria.com Diver's Den section. If you want one, go for it. I personally have never had any luck with keeping Flame angels alive.....been through two or three of them that never lived past a month so I think that they may have a problem with their collecting and shipping methods. I would get one of the Potter's angels from the Diver's Den because they worm them and try to get them from good sources. Lesley

mrwilson
01/09/2009, 11:19 AM
I've had a Potter's for about a year; bought it from a fellow reefer who'd had it for some time. Watching it eat pellets before I got him made it an easy call. It's been a great fish, but does have typical centropyge temperament - gives any new addition a hard time for a couple of days, before relenting once the new fish knows what's up.

ReefFreek917
01/09/2009, 02:48 PM
Mines a baby. He is about 3 years old and is such a wussy fish! He gets spooked by a bicolor blenny that it 5 times smaller. Great fish, lots of personality. I love them!

Hogfish77
01/10/2009, 03:11 AM
My first Potter's died within a weekend. Didn't eat and was hiding. I bought him as soon as he was ready from the LFS. It was so pretty that I just had to try one again. Got another one that's been good for about 6 months now. He started off just nipping on LR,etc. Then about 2 weeks later he finally saw what the other fish were doing and joined them in the feedings. He's quite the pig now and I love his personality. Definitely my fav dwarf angel. Here he is when I first got him.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/Addicted_2_Africans/IMG_1711.jpg:cool:

virginiabreeze6
01/10/2009, 07:12 AM
I think the key is a well established tank with good growth on your live rock. They will eat enough off the live rock to sustain them while learning to eat frozen/prepared food.

Good Luck, a great dwarf Angel.