PDA

View Full Version : Heating options for sump/prop system in basement? Heaters are killing me!

CBehr
01/09/2009, 11:46 AM
I have a 95g display on the first floor that drains to a 20g fuge and 100g fuge system in the basment then to a 20g tub that is conencted to my return pump. I loose about 5g a day due to evaoporate and heating costs are killing me!! I use about 1000w of electric heater and they can't really hold my tank at 79. It's usually bounced between 76-79. My electric bills are about $50-$70 more since I moved to the basement due to my T5's and electric heat.

Any suggestions for reducing my heating costs? should I get a large peice of acrlyic/glass cut to cover the prop tank to reduce evaporation?

seagirl
01/09/2009, 12:34 PM
What is the temp in your basement? I live in michigan, so it's cold here too, but my tanks in the basement never get below 78. If you can seal your basement better it should help with evap and temp a lot.

James77
01/09/2009, 12:55 PM
If you can, build an insulated room to house the sump, fuge, etc(I built my 4X7 room for about $125. Also, insulate around the sump as well as the pipes with the yellow pipe tubes. Covering the tanks would help a bit.

I don't know what pump you are using, but I switched mine to a Velocity T3, since they impart most of their heat into the water.

I have a cold cellar- usually around 55-60 degrees in the winter. The insulated room is easily 12-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the basement with no supplemental heating(although I do have a heating system if I need it.)I have no problem keeping my 180 gallon system-120 up and 60 down- at 80 degrees with 500 watts of heat. The heater is off 60-70% of the time.

x2uranium
01/09/2009, 01:03 PM
I have hot air heat, I just cut the duct work and put in 2 vents that vent to my basement, Also spent a bunch on insulating it this past summer, stays 78-80 all day

shelburn61
01/09/2009, 02:24 PM
That's a lot of evaporation. Acrylic covers under the lights would shield the water from T5 fans. My temp dropped 4+ degrees on cold nights until I put a styro insulation sheet cover on my 100g rubbermade sump in basement. Now temp is stable.

DeathWish302
01/09/2009, 02:53 PM
I'll feel for you.... I live in an apartment and have to keep the aquarium room around 72F all the time to maintain a stable tank temp between 78F(night) - 81F(day). As for the evaporation, that is quite a bit. If you lesen the total volume that surrounds the sumps, the evaporation rate will lower. The more saturated the surrounding air, the lower the evaporation rate. These are roughly 'inversly proportional', but some other factor come into play as constant air speed and water temp.

I agree with James. Build a small room, insulate the walls, and install FRP (easily cleaned and resist mildew). This would decrease total room volume to maintain a constant temp, lessen the room volume to slow evap. and shield the sumps from any nasties in the basement (unless of course it is a finished basement).

Just my $0.02....

Hey, your close enough to me if you need help throwing the room together I may be available in two weeks or so. You a member of any local reef clubs?

A.T.T.R
01/09/2009, 02:55 PM
acrylic cover the tanks when the tanks start getting to cold.
should help alot