PDA

View Full Version : bad mantis shrimps, go away

pekingeserescue
01/09/2009, 01:14 PM
We have a new second marine tank, just set up last month, 24 gal pod thing stocked with live rock and a week later snails, crabs two damsel fish. Everything got eaten in the first two weeks after introduction (except the rock!) and three mantis shrimp have been seen - so far. Everything was purchased and set up by our local store. Do we call them back and say take the rock away and start over or is there a way to get those mantis out? We have purchased fish and other creatures to put in, but they are on hold at the store till we can get rid of these mantis. Other than the mantis, the tank has done great with the live rock and coral frags. How do we get rid of these mantis?

Koshmar
01/09/2009, 02:11 PM
You're going to have to move the lr around a lot so if you have corals already setup this might be a problem. The only way I've been able to catch my two has been by lifting up the rock and moving it to one side of the tank. You keep moving the rock until the mantis shoots out of it and swims to one side of the tank. Take a big net and corner the mantis between the glass and net. Make sure the mantis is on the opposite side of where you place all the live rock. The key is to make sure the mantis cannot get back into the rock so putting it all on one side is very helpful. Move slowly with the net and the mantis' will probably not notice it until they are within inches of it. Once you have the mantis sandwitched between the net and the glass, slowly bring the net up while keeping it pressed up against the glass. When you get to the top have a container ready and submerge it in the tank. Quickly press the opening of the net to the opening of the container and bring the container up (filled with water from the tank). The mantis will usually make the transfer from the net to the container automatically. Quickly bring the container up and out of the tank. Repeat the process and you'll have all three out in no time, safe and sound. Then you can sell them to the many people on this forum who would love a mantis. :D
That's my way and it has worked everytime, people may suggest traps and some do work but mantis' can be really clever and usually other animals (snails) will get caught in them instead.

pekingeserescue
01/09/2009, 03:19 PM
Thank you so much. The store finally came by and looked at the tank just 30 minutes ago and couldn't see the mantis, but thought they might be Pistol shrimp. But the mantis photos on the site look like what we have and I don't think Pistol shrimp would eat hermit crabs and fish and snalls. They added a sea urchin and more crabs. We will see how long they last! Thanks again!

Ncastro1981
01/09/2009, 03:51 PM
another optioin is to lay the rock on the floor and the mantis shrimp will emerge from the rock, if it is hidding inside of one. May be the case or one may get away and try and hide in one. JMO but might help

duijver
01/09/2009, 09:22 PM
I am definitely interested in seeing pictures of your mantis (s). I may have found one, but if I can get one shipped and it's a species I am really looking for I could have my mind changed since I haven't yet made a decision. :)

PICS please! :)

btw, I'm sorry to hear that your tank was cleaned out. I can only imagine. I have never had a pistol, but it does sound more like a mantis.

TrappedMetal
01/10/2009, 07:25 AM
Seems highly unlikely that a mantis will quickly eat hermits AND fish.

lionbacker54
01/11/2009, 08:26 AM
what are your plans for the mantis shrimp you catch? there are several here (myself included) who would love to take them off your hands. i think syvynx is still looking for one too.

UCBryant
01/13/2009, 08:13 PM
Buy a few cans of club soda

When you do a water change, save the old water and take a few rocks out of your tank and hold them over the bucket (or in the water). Take a turkey baster or the like and squirt the club soda into any holes/crevices you can find. If the mantis is in that rock, he'll shoot right out and into the bucket. Set that rock aside and repeat with the other rocks in the tank.