PDA

View Full Version : Zoos disappearing very very fast

RWillieK
01/09/2009, 05:30 PM
I had a colony of probably 100 zoos disappear in about a day and a half.

Whatever is eating/killing them advanced to another rock nearby.

I dipped the rock in fresh water with Lugols, and then a second dip with coral disinfectant.

The next colony disappeared.

The only other zoos were in the opposite corner.....today another 50+ zoos disappeared....they were all there this morning.

I guess my huge orange palys are next....

What can I do to stop whatever this is?

I searched the first rock and found nothing but some bristle worms, copepods, and a few small stars.

Help!!!!

Robbie

RWillieK
01/09/2009, 05:31 PM
Sorry for the double post.

650-IS350
01/09/2009, 05:38 PM
What fish do you have?

Large crabs can do damage but doubt that fast. Most likely a fish like a foxface, blue tang, or something to that nature.

RWillieK
01/09/2009, 07:00 PM
Nope -

Fish list:

Convict Tang
Orange Spot Rabbit Fish
Royal Gramma
Two Ocesllaris
Bi Color Blenny

All have been in the tank with the same zoos for at least a year, some as long as eight years.

It all started when I got a frag from a local reefer. I noticed a colony near the frag didn't look as good as usual...two days later it was gone.....and the story continues....

I pulled all of the affected rocks out, and fresh water dipped them. I didn't find much, but I did find a bunch of brittle stars, a couple of larger stars....both of which I haven't seen before.

Tomorrow I'm going to dip the last rock, too much work for tonight.

BTW, no crabs in the tank except on blue leg crab.

Robbie

theJiggyfly
01/09/2009, 07:04 PM
Rabbits are known zoa eaters.

RWillieK
01/09/2009, 07:25 PM
I don't beleive its the rabbit.....the disappearing zoos started nearest the new frag, so I would suspect a hitchhiker first.

besides that, the rabbit fish been in there a year and never trouched a zoo, nor was there an issue in his previous home in my brothers tank.

Robbie

pimpinitup6969
01/09/2009, 07:52 PM
often times it only takes one taste for a fish to start destroying your colonies.... i would suggest moving the colony into quarantine tank and see what happens?

jprince58
01/09/2009, 07:57 PM
+1 on suspecting a fish. It's highly unlikely that a hitchhiker (or even a group of them) could do that much damage in such a short time. If nothing else, camp out and watch what's going on. I think you'll be surprised.

650-IS350
01/09/2009, 07:59 PM
Rabbits are pretty known zoa assasins just like Blue tangs.
Just because they don't pay attention to them for months to years doesnt rule them out nor mean they won't ever touch it.

With that kind of dissapearance.. I'll watch him from another room or video tape him. I bet you , you'll catch him in the act.

01/10/2009, 12:04 AM
Do you notice them wasting or closing up before they dissapear?

RWillieK
01/10/2009, 07:09 AM
they are closing up and not opening, and I don't see any torn flesh, thats why I'm not sure about the rabbit fish.

The other thing that makes me curious is the lack of flesh afterwards, there nothing at all left.

Robbie

jprince58
01/10/2009, 07:20 AM
Closing up can be due to any number of things...even something as simple as errant water motion within the tank, so I wouldn't use that as an indicator of predation. I think you'd be surprised how completely a fish can pick things clean when they set their mind to it.

fraggin
01/10/2009, 07:31 AM
make sure its not one of these guys, had one 2 feet long devouring my palys. would strip off a 3" strip every night.

http://www.poppe-images.com/images/search_results.php?category=worms&family=EUNICIDAE

jjmcat
01/10/2009, 12:59 PM
Just curious as to what you alk levels are?

sassafrass
01/10/2009, 02:44 PM
It is your rabbit fish, mine ate a huge collection in a couple of days here is a pic
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/sassafrass8/Picture524.jpg

george albert
01/10/2009, 03:51 PM
the rabbit!!!! i had a hippo tang in my tank for 2 years before he started eating mine.Once he got a taste that was it.
I would keep a close eye on him

Stanley-Reefer
01/10/2009, 09:22 PM
beautiful orange spot! I just got mine a month ago. All corals including SPS good so far........

SIR PATRICK
01/10/2009, 09:55 PM
My rabbit started eating my zoas a few months after I introduced him to the tank. Was hard to catch it in the act. Caught him after lights out.

RWillieK
01/11/2009, 11:36 AM
Yep - same fish

He's probably moving today, I have a local coming to look at him.

Robbie