PDA

View Full Version : Activated carbon?

BradsOcean
01/10/2009, 10:40 AM
I've never used it. The only thing i've used is Chemi-pure.
So i was wondering, what are the benefits of using activated carbon? Also, do you leave it in 24/7? thanks

Michael
01/10/2009, 10:48 AM
hi-brad, ive been using it 24-7 on all types of aquaria for more than 20 years, i find it keeps the water crystal clear and ive never witnessed yellowing of the water myself, it does remove organic waste in the water stream which can feed nitrates and phosphates, it also can remove chemicals introduced by soft corals into the water when they attempt to attack each other due to lack of space, combined with a skimmer its a very good filteration aid in the reef aquarium imo

BradsOcean
01/10/2009, 10:49 AM
is there any downsides to carbon?

JEFFR259
01/10/2009, 10:55 AM
Some cheaper carbon products can leach phosphate when used up/expired.

Michael
01/10/2009, 10:58 AM
well, if its left too long under water theres a chance it can leach phosphate, and it nigh on impossible to tell when its exhausted, it dosent last as long as most posters say it does, id suggest 2-4 weeks but it depends on the water quality in the individual tank, also it varies from varieties in quality, its difficult to know with accuracy which brand is best, although some tests have been carried out here on RC, also it can shock corals if used in high quantities for the first time as it clears the water so much the extra light suddenly being illiminated to the corals sends them into shock, well this is not my findings but ive read this a number of times, also if not washed or rinsed out properly it can leave a film of gunk on the water surface, however in everything ive mentioned the pros definately beat the cons

tmz
01/10/2009, 11:50 AM
Rinse it ;the carbon dust if blowing around can irritate corals. Removal of some organics, partiucularly those that discolor the water and some toxins are among it's benefits. I use lignite carbon and have used it 24/7 for years.It should be changed regualrly every 14 to 28 days, to avoid leach backand contiuned absorbtion.

isgon26
01/10/2009, 12:20 PM
24/7 in a reactor is fine. change every 3-4 weeks.