PDA

View Full Version : skimmer selection

xanthurum
01/10/2009, 05:51 PM
I have had my tank up an running for over 3 years now and would like to upgrade my skimmer. My tank is 280 gallons with a 120 gallon sump/fuge. I have a pretty heavy bioload with a very large Vlamingi Tang, Black Tang, Powder Blue, Scopas and a few smaller fish. Not a lot of corals as of yet, I lost most of them a year ago to a Blue Face Angel but he is gone now. I am slowly restocking with coral after trading him. I currently run an ASM G4 that does good but was thinking of getting a newer better skimmer so what would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions.

ReefingBuddha
01/10/2009, 06:52 PM
After doing a lot of research I just decided to upgrade my old Deltec AP701 to a ATB external cone. I can say good things about the Deltec product and it has be reliable and functional for a long time. I do believe that I can get more bang for the space I have with the ATB cone. Its a premium product and you pay the price but I hope it will be worth it.

Alternatively you could mod your current skimmer and get more out of it. Its a cheaper way to go and if your a little handy you can have great results. There are also a lot of resources for skimmer mods as many people are into it. I believe ASM even makes mod kits to make it easy if you like.