PDA

View Full Version : Green Stag suffering?

jasonmartin1313
01/10/2009, 06:24 PM
This is my second try at acro's the first was botched by my pincushion shoving a frag off the rockwork cliff into the abyss. I got this green stag at my lfs about 2 weeks ago. It is located about 7" down in the tank slightly to the left of a 400 MH. There is no direct flow on it, the main return is over it and the maximod is only on one minute a hour in daylight only. Other PH's maintain current in the tank. My parameters are all in check, 1.026sg, 79.8', 1220mg, 420 ca, and 7.9kh. It seemed so colorful and extended in the lfs tank and ever since I put it in my tank it seems it hasnt extended any at all. It also seems to be bleaching. Can any one comment?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u37/jasonmartin1313/Fish/PICT4607.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u37/jasonmartin1313/Fish/PICT4605.jpg

NanoReefWanabe
01/10/2009, 07:45 PM
i would say the toxicity of the pulsing xenia and the torch near it are whats causing you grief...do you run carbon?

hard to tell from the pics but the white tips could be new growth...

that is some nice looking Agrocrete in the back ground there got a FTS of it?

IFbettas
01/10/2009, 08:59 PM
Do you run carbon? You probably should with the xenia in there. I have had acro frags stay completely closed for a while after going in my tank, and then one day it will be completely open.

Icefire
01/10/2009, 09:02 PM
Since when Xenia / torch is toxic to SPS while only being in the same tank?

I have about 3 big leather, a small Xenia, Bubble coral and sps now seems to be good.

Running small amount of carbon and Rowa

NanoReefWanabe
01/10/2009, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14126939#post14126939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
Since when Xenia / torch is toxic to SPS while only being in the same tank?

I have about 3 big leather, a small Xenia, Bubble coral and sps now seems to be good.

Running small amount of carbon and Rowa

Chemical warfare between Sotfies LPS and SPS same as between different species of anemones is well documented/ expressed by many many reefers, they dont have to be touching for this to take place...the neighbouring foul corals only need to sense one and other for them to expel toxins or nemocyts(stinging cells, however it is spelt) in an attempt to kill the other..always a very good idea to run carbon in a mixed reef situation...

the proximity of his SPS to his LPS and xenia is enough to make me think they are competing chemically for territory...though acros are plenty strong amongst their own kind they pale in comparison to foul softies or the punch of a LPS coral....

Icefire
01/10/2009, 09:28 PM
Xenia is like the least offencive coral I know of..

The torch on the other hand...

jasonmartin1313
01/11/2009, 08:59 AM
I think I will try moving it to the other side of the tank a little further away from the torches and nowhere near the xenia.

jasonmartin1313
01/11/2009, 03:56 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u37/jasonmartin1313/Fish/PICT4614.jpg
sorry it looks so blue but its not

jasonmartin1313
01/11/2009, 03:57 PM
what is ROWA?

Peter Eichler
01/11/2009, 04:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14127140#post14127140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
Xenia is like the least offencive coral I know of..

The torch on the other hand...

Allelopathic effects from soft corals on scleractinian corals is very real and pretty well documented in science. Often corals that have the fewest stinging cells or ways to defend themselves, are the most toxic (though xenids aren't believed to be nearly as bad as other genera). There are documented cases of soft corals outcompeting stoney corals for space in the ocean by just using chemicals and never actually touching. Now think of how bad chemical warfare could be in an auqarium where there isn't nearly as much dillution.