PDA

View Full Version : cloudy sand water

dartmti
01/10/2009, 07:35 PM
Hey guys.

Quick question...

I just added sand to my tank and the water is extremely cloudly and milky looking. Should I leave one of my powerheads on or turn off all of the equipment while I wait for it to clear?

Also, about how long will it take to clear?

Thanks

Matt

jbird69
01/10/2009, 08:21 PM
id keep everything running. It shouldnt take more than overnight to clear out. I have had a great response from my livestock the times Ive added sand. Everything really perks up. watch your protein skimmer for a couple days as it may go nuts.

dartmti
01/10/2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it.

J.russell
01/10/2009, 08:55 PM
If you have a sump add a filter sock too. I just added sand into my tank last night and it was clear this morning :)

dartmti
01/10/2009, 09:26 PM
I don't have a sump, but I did add a filter sponge into one of the rear chambers (this tank is a nano cube) in hopes of clearing things up a bit.
Thanks!

noboddi
01/10/2009, 10:00 PM
if the sand in question is sugar sized aragonite, which can make a tank very milky, it's fine. It will dissolve and add to the buffer system. It's called arag-milk, and is good for the tank in fact.

dartmti
01/10/2009, 10:04 PM
Ok, great.
It's aragonite, but slightly larger than sugar sized. It seems to have the same effect, though. lol
Thanks

Percula9
01/11/2009, 12:10 AM
Any product that contains aragonite like aragamilk is a waste of money. Aragonite which is calcium carbonate can't dissolve at seawater pH. Any body who says it does, doesn't know squat about water chemistry. If it did, your sand which is aragonite, would dissolve away. The tank will clear itself in a day or so.