PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock

Henryreef
01/11/2009, 09:42 AM
I was thinking of adding more live rock to an exsisting tank (my 55). It has been up for a little over 2 years. Are there any dangers of adding new live rock to an exsisting tank? Would it start a new cycle? I think I would use Fiji cured LR.

reeferstace
01/11/2009, 09:53 AM
True live rock, even cured, will probably cause a small cycle. I think most people would have you add one piece at a time, wait a week or so then add another. That would diminish problems associated with the small increase in ammonia you would encounter.

Henryreef
01/11/2009, 10:28 AM
Ok. Could I store the LR in a bucket with a heater and powerhead well i wait to add it?

crvz
01/11/2009, 10:36 AM
there is some risk. if you're adding live rock that has some die off, it's similar as adding a dead fish or dead clam to the tank. The tank can likely handle it, though, and adding rock slowly over time is the way to mitigate this issue. There's also risk in hitchhikers. Your best solution is to QT new rock, a small bucket or tank with a powerhead breaking the water surface is really all you need, and this will cure the rock as well as give you time to monitor any critters you may not want in your display.