PDA

View Full Version : CUC for 75g mixed reef?

Moonstream
01/11/2009, 10:13 AM
I am going to add sand back into my tank so I can get a carpet nem for the pair of skunk clowns I am going to get, and so I am trying to figure out a good CUC for the tank. I feed every few days with frozen, and every day with pellets. currently I have only 3 fish in it, but...

so, I am thinking something like
25 nass snails
25 cerith snails
20 astrea smails (have 10 now)
25 blue leg hermits (have 10 now)
fighting conch
bullet goby or twospot goby

would this be sufficient? I am trying to keep costs low, but want to have the best possible CUC.

Moonstream
01/11/2009, 11:32 AM
bumpity bump

Pheeshes
01/11/2009, 11:45 AM
that looks pretty good to me. what kind of live stock list do you have? mine is pretty light with just 3 fish right now, but i've been doing pretty good with about

15 blue leg hermits (4-6 are bigger and the rest are very very small)
15-20 cerith snails
10 nass snails
2 mexican turbos
2-4 black turbos
5-6 astrea snails
2-4 emerald crabs

i gave all my numbers in estimates, cause i know how many i started with, but i also know how many empty shells i have and how many extra crabs and snails i've thrown in.

Moonstream
01/11/2009, 12:04 PM
I too have only 3 fish right now, and the pink skunk clown I have is barely hanging on (stopped eating and is looking BAD). at this point I'm crossing my fingers for her...

anyways, I dont want any emerald, sally lght foot, ect crabs because of their tendancy to go after corals and small fish. the nearest a true crab I'll have is a porcelain anemone crab.

I also dont plan to have any turbos because of their ridiculous size. thanks for the input, anyone else?

TomRep
01/11/2009, 12:18 PM
I've got in my 50 breeder:
20-30 Nassarius
80 or so dwarf ceriths
5 large Florida Ceriths
8 or so scarlet hermits
10 Large nerites
1 blue legged hermit (snuck in when i bought the snails)
I want to add about 80 small blue leggeds yet and probably some chiltons and/or limpets. I can, and do, feed heavy with only three fish in the tank. perform bi-weekly 5 gallon water changes and skim pretty dry. tank maintains 0-.01 phosphates (photometer) and 2ppm Nitrates (Salifert).
tom

TomRep
01/11/2009, 12:23 PM
Most turbo's are a waste of money. They knock out the algea, but since most come from colder waters then our reefs, they end up dieing in a short time. the large Nerites I have do very well on algea. During the day they mostly stay at the water line (behind the trim) on my tank unless the venture out for a midday snack. otherwise, they work at night and you never really even see them. And by large, I mean about walnut sized shell!
tom
ps. I used Reef Cleaners out of Florida for my clean up crew. great prices and great quality. He also throws in a lot of extras for "shipping losses".