PDA

View Full Version : clam stung by anemone

ransomed4ever
01/11/2009, 01:16 PM
Just got my fist clam (a crocea) yesterday, and placed it in the tank where i wanted it. I didn't think my LTA would be able to get to it at all, but just about 10 minutes ago I glanced at my tank and I see 1 tentacle stretched to its max touching the very edge of the mantle. Obviously I moved the clam, and it opened right back up and all of the mantle is extended, except the edge where it was stung. It couldn't of gotten stung for more than just a second. Should I just let it be and see if it is ok, or is there something I should do? Just not sure if anyone has experience with this or knows what I should do.

ransomed4ever
01/11/2009, 01:35 PM
well going to work now, hopefully it wil fully extend by the time i get home, or someone will have some suggestions by then.

ransomed4ever
01/12/2009, 01:38 PM
It appears that nobody has had experience with this, so I'll report on mine. I wasn't able to really tell if things were better when I got home last night because the halides were off, and just the VHO actinics were on. The good news is that when the halides came on this morning the clam opened fully and now its mantle is fully expanded. Must of just been partially paralyzed for a short time from the sting.

a4twenty
01/13/2009, 02:57 PM
the sting shouldn't so any long term damage but if you had left the clam there he would have died a slow painful death. glad to hear yours has made a full recovery.

Toddrtrex
01/13/2009, 03:05 PM
Oddly enough, I never noticed any issues when my Haddoni and crocea were touching (( I moved the clam for other reasons )). And if you have ever touched a Haddoni you know that they have a pretty powerful sting.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Haddoniclam.jpg

ransomed4ever
01/14/2009, 12:14 AM
My LTA seems to pick and choose what it wants to sting. Not sure if nems really have control of that or not, but some things seems affected by it and others not. I've even touched it a few times and sometimes I'm stung others I'm not.

TWallace
01/15/2009, 03:15 PM
I've witnessed clams and anemones living side by side in nature without any signs of damage to the clams. I wouldn't worry too much about it. They were long tentacle anemones that I saw, not BTAs or carpets.

This was taken at low tide. Under normal conditions, the anemone tentacles touch the clams occasionally.
http://tom-wallace.com/images/reef/112008/low_tide5.jpg

allhobbs
01/23/2009, 08:19 PM
That is an awesome pic. My nem (rbta) has touched my squamosa a few times and it doesn't seem to bother it. I would not want the nem to touch it a lot, but When I move the clam away from the nem he slowly works his way back over to the nem again.

ransomed4ever
01/23/2009, 09:08 PM
My clam has been doing fine since, but there is a scar on both sides of the mantle where it closed up on the tentacle.

qbical
01/23/2009, 09:18 PM
Beautiful pictures!!
i have a bta and fortunately it never touched my t.maxima, but w how fast the nem. grows i may soon find out. lol
good luck