PDA

View Full Version : Colonies growing Fungus...

Bmgrocks
01/11/2009, 01:58 PM
12 gallon aquapod 150w MH

Craziest thing, some of my colonies are growing fungus, and slowly disintegrating, all other corals in my tank are doing quite well, but some of the colonies are closing up, growing a white fuzz, polyp size shrinks and eventually melts away. Whats going on? It is a zoa dominant tank, and the way things are going I won't have any zoa's left.

is it contagious, not all are suffering but it is certainly spreading. This is fairly recent as of 2 weeks ago, when the first colony began showing signs. Some are healthy and thriving, some are melting away. I don't seem to understand what is going on. The colonies are attached to my LR so how can I go about treating them?

My current tank perameters are stable,
Alk 10 dkh
Ca 420
N02 <5ppm
N03 Undectable

Dosing with Brightwell aquatics 2 part supplement
Brightwell Vitamarin-C
Brightwell Koral Color

Weekly 3 gallon waterchanges with RO/DI water
Light Feeding, only have 1 fish, Orchid Dottyback

What seems to be a problem? I find new ones infected almost every day.

Pufferpunk
01/11/2009, 03:52 PM
Brightwell Vitamarin-C
How many mg of vitamin c is in thir priduct that you are dosing? My suggestion would be to get pure, buffered VC like this & dose much higher:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798

Does the fungus look like white toothpaste?

Bmgrocks
01/11/2009, 06:03 PM
1,500mg/oz
ingredients says purified water, asorbic asid, buffering agents

Bmgrocks
01/12/2009, 09:49 AM
it looks more like a cotton like growth that covers them, they begin to melt away,stay closed retract, all that stuff...Is anyone able to offer any more assistance?

Pufferpunk
01/12/2009, 09:51 AM
Try the furan dip (I use tank water), be sure to brush off all fungus with a soft toothbrush & treat with pure buffered vitamin C at 100ppm, for your tank.

650-IS350
01/12/2009, 10:52 AM
I'd go with the Furan treatment. Its anti fungal, goes against Gram neg and Gram Postive bacteria? So you get best of both worlds.

Only thing with furan is its invasive, if your polyps are pretty much in bad to worse shape, theres a chance they will not survive after the treatment. It happens.