PDA

View Full Version : mandarin pairing success rate?

viodea
01/11/2009, 09:58 PM
I want to have a male/female pair of mandarin. I want to know the odd of pairing them up if I introduce them together.

BangkokMatt
01/11/2009, 10:06 PM
Pretty good odds they will pair up. It's not so difficult to do.

Elysia
01/12/2009, 04:52 AM
Which mandarin species? From what I have seen, Synchiropus splendidus (psychedelic) males have a longer first dorsal spine than male Synchiropus picturatus (spotted). The dorsal of my first spotted mandarin is just slightly elongated, so I wasn't certain of its gender. So I added a spotted w/ a clearly elongated first dorsal spine -- turns out the first is a male. I removed the second spotted and rehomed him in another tank and purchased a third spotted w/ no additional length on her first dorsal spine what-so-ever. And the two got along fine from the very beginning. They cruise over the live rock practically fin-in-fin. I have yet to actually witness them mate, but they are living together in harmony. It will probably be easier for you if you introduce them at the same time -- I waited to get the female a year after I had the male. As long as you can keep them both well fed and sex them prior to purchase, you shouldn't have a problem (from my experience.)

snorvich
01/12/2009, 05:46 AM
You may have difficult feeding two in your size tank.

BangkokMatt
01/12/2009, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14136166#post14136166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
You may have difficult feeding two in your size tank.
Agree

viodea
01/12/2009, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure what species yet... they are either stripped or spotted.

viodea
01/12/2009, 09:06 AM
I have a fuge and rock rubbles at the display to help growing pods.
I can see lots of tinny creatures running all over in my DT.
I'm thinking about adding pod pile if needed.
Any particular type of pod do they like the most? I want to get different pod to seed my fuge.

Elysia
01/13/2009, 11:48 PM
snorvich -- I'm not sure if you are concerned about my mandarins? They feed on frozen. Certainly, in general, two will put a damper on your 'pod bioload. Mine seem to be interested in amphipods only. But no worries, as my are quite rotund.

my male:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/168303P1020589.JPG

his girlfriend :inlove:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/168303P1030251.JPG

(she has filled in more since then)

snorvich
01/14/2009, 11:05 AM
The problem is that mandarins are grazers. That is, when they are awake, they eat. So eating mysis is fine (all of mine do too) but that is not sufficient because you don't feed constantly and any other fish in your tank will beat them out for food. Feeding too much is not the answer either but multiple feedings, perhaps 4 times daily will help.