PDA

View Full Version : fuge for a 29 gallon

Tremolo
01/11/2009, 11:20 PM
Hi,

I have a 29 gallon display tank that I want to add a fuge to. I currently have a HOB fuge that I am not very happy with and want to make one that will fit in my stand. I know the basics... Inlet baffles fuge baffle return, but I don’t know what size I should make it. My stand is 28x19x11 so I think I can only fit a 10 gallon tank in there. I have a mag 7 that I was going to use and put a ball valve on the outlet to limit flow if it is too much. I also need to know what kind of over flow I should get.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Vince

Toddrtrex
01/11/2009, 11:28 PM
I have a 10 gallon sump on my 33 cube (( used to be on my 29 )). I didn't use it for a fuge however, but I suppose the skimmer section/inflow area could be used for that.

As for an overflow, I think the Lifereef one would be the best, but it is pricey. I have an Esshoops (( or however it is spelled )), and would say that it is only decent -- I have to lengthen the U-tube so that it wouldn't lose siphon when the main pump is off.

Think that you will find that you are going to have to throttle back the Mag 7 quite a bit. I am using an OR2500 on mine and have it throttled back about 1/3.

Tremolo
01/12/2009, 12:01 AM
it is only going to be a fuge no skimmer section. i have a hob remora i am going to use that i took off because of the hob fuge. what return pump should i use. i wanted to use the mag because i already had it.

Toddrtrex
01/12/2009, 12:06 AM
I had a feeling that you already had the Mag, and since you already have it, use it. Just don't be shocked if you have to throttle it back a lot -- which shouldn't hurt it.

Figure you could do something similar to what I did -- except use my skimmer section as your fuge. I have 3 baffles (( hard to see the 3rd one since I had to use black silicone ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/Wet5.jpg

Tremolo
01/12/2009, 12:16 AM
yeah something like that is what i was thinking.