PDA

View Full Version : Sand sifter

Bernie21
01/12/2009, 11:21 AM
I am looking to buy a sand sifting goby or sleeper goby for my tank, I want to know if a 92 gal w a 2" sandbed is good for him to have plenty of nutrients, I am probably going to add 1 more ich of sand. Also how old should the sand be before I consider getting him? There is no other sand sifter in my tank, so its all for him. Plase help, TY!

cloak
01/12/2009, 05:24 PM
I'd make sure it's accepting prepared food first. Flakes, frozen, fresh. Worry about the damage on the fauna later.

kelley_mc
01/12/2009, 05:56 PM
Without a doubt, get a Dragon Goby. Excellent sand sifter and they eat from the water column. I have one and love it. He lives in my 37 gal tank.

Bernie21
01/13/2009, 09:08 AM
A dragon goby, is that like a mandarin, Im sorry, can you post a pic. Thanks for the info guys. Im leaning towards yes, but Im not trying to kill the poor thing. Bump for more opinions please.

kelley_mc
01/13/2009, 09:12 AM
Here you go:
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/1D726DB283704585A7B6B06FC0FFDDEFE.jpg

The take the sand in through their mouth and extract it out their gills just like a sand sifting goby.

The problem with most sand sifting gobies is that they only eat from the sand and they can clean a tank out pretty quickly. Most starve and die. Dragon Gobies are known to eat from the sand and from the water column. Mine sifts sand all day long but when it comes to feeding time he eats mysis, cyclopeeze, spiraluna fakes, pellets, anything. I don't worry too much about him starving to death and my sand is white and clean. :D

Kazza24
02/09/2009, 04:43 AM
I have a pair of dragon gobies that are starving to death and I am at my wits end. I have tried putting sand in the sand bed and they pick up mysis in the water column but spit it out again. I have had them for 2 months and they haven't sifted the sand much. We used to have yellow headed sleeper gobies that moved the sand so much it was annoying. They also fed from the water column. They died as they were breeding and were stressed out and jumped out of the tank.
Please help I think one goby may die tonight. i don't know what to do.
Any suggestions?

kelley_mc
02/13/2009, 07:48 AM
Mine LOVE veggie flake food, try that and see. I use Ocean Nutrition. They also don't eat mysis but do eat cyclopeeze.