PDA

View Full Version : How long before cone skimmer price comes down?

Ehaze
01/12/2009, 08:34 PM
When will there be another chinese company to beat the current chinese/EU/US companys to bring down the price of all the cone skimmers?

like 2-5 years?

recife111
04/03/2009, 05:18 AM
I doubt they will bring down the price as they are not in the same market.

The chinese are in the budget market and the others aim for quality.

BigJay
04/03/2009, 07:27 AM
More and more cone skimmers are coming to market every month. I'd say within the next year there will be enough competition and product on the market to take a good swipe at the current $900.00+ price point (at least for the more generic brand names).

GSMguy
04/03/2009, 07:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14751660#post14751660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by recife111
I doubt they will bring down the price as they are not in the same market.

Funny there are maybe 4 or 5 Asian cones 2 American and 2 European.

The entry price on cones has allready come way down.

cwegescheide
04/03/2009, 07:54 AM
I just got an I-Tech cone skimmer that costs about half of what the ATB Econo skimmer. Its american made, heat welded and built like a tank. It's an excellent skimmer and you CANT BEAT the price for sure. They have a website if you want to check them out. www.i-techskimmers.com. There are many pictures on the site and you can see the i-tech running side by side with my ATB. I'm amazed how well it skims. Nothing against the ATB but thats a lot of coin. There is also a huge thread on here called "I-Tech skimmer club"

tinnghe
04/03/2009, 08:07 AM
I second that been waitingfor the new pump to make the jump

SHOmuchFUN
04/03/2009, 08:09 AM
How much cheaper can it get? Honestly, I bought my I-tech skimmer cone for $200 :D

cwegescheide
04/03/2009, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752348#post14752348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SHOmuchFUN
How much cheaper can it get? Honestly, I bought my I-tech skimmer cone for $200 :D

You must have gotten one of the very first ones. Your probably talking about the 100 model and I paid more than that but I got in later when the materials and addition of CNC raised the price a little. Its still a heck of a great deal. And Shomuch, that was not including the pump was it?

SHOmuchFUN
04/03/2009, 08:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752527#post14752527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cwegescheide
You must have gotten one of the very first ones. Your probably talking about the 100 model and I paid more than that but I got in later when the materials and addition of CNC raised the price a little. Its still a heck of a great deal. And Shomuch, that was not including the pump was it?
Correct. About $300 with the pump (Aquabee 2000/1)

BigJay
04/03/2009, 09:04 AM
I'm interested in the I-tech cone as well. I'm interested to see how the performance with tunze pumps works out. If they start offering a 200 (or even better the 400 model) with a single tunze, I won't be able to resist.

No offense to the sicce people, but I hate my sicce PSK 2500. I can't wait to get rid of it. A tunze pump with a pinwheel will run forever with no issues.

cwegescheide
04/03/2009, 09:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752678#post14752678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigJay
I'm interested in the I-tech cone as well. I'm interested to see how the performance with tunze pumps works out. If they start offering a 200 (or even better the 400 model) with a single tunze, I won't be able to resist.

No offense to the sicce people, but I hate my sicce PSK 2500. I can't wait to get rid of it. A tunze pump with a pinwheel will run forever with no issues.

And if you did ever have a problem I think anybody who has ever dealt with Roger and Tunze will agree service is second to none.

tufacody
04/03/2009, 09:18 AM
The chinese are in the budget market and the others aim for quality. [/B][/QUOTE]

If this ain't the battle cry of the SUCKA I don't know what is. I have read just about every cone review and comment ever posted here and not one person has complained of quality when it comes to the cones.

bridun22ajl
04/03/2009, 11:11 PM
where can you get i-tech from? ive never seen it? and there website has no info really

mojo~
04/04/2009, 08:10 AM
Honestly I am not a big itech fan, The pumps you have to buy seperateand I am sorry the aquabee pump? Way over rated for a skimmer pump. I have tested three different ones. One from a delted the other two from DAS (deltec knockoff) skimmers. The air and water intake is not up to par with other pumps that have come out. I like the fact that a guy in the US is making these. THats a plus. But there are a few people here popping up here really pushing the ITech.I like all skimmers I mean who am I to say anything. The huge cost on cone skimmers is the cone itself. I good cylinder skimmer will work very well too. If you want a cheaper cone you could look at the eshopps cone. Then the itech. I would say those are the lower end cones on the market. The you jump up to the SWC cone. THese cones are well built the only downside is they have three pump combos for one size cone. personally I think the single sicce is a bot small but the other two combos push the cone really well.
THe Warner marine cone is very well built and uses a modded sicce to push t to around 950 lph on a pinhwheel. Then the ATB cone is well built and uses a custom volute cover that makes the sicce a really nice pump. The Alpha 250 cone is not out yet but I should have one soon. Bubble king build quality and a great pump. Should be the makings of one of the best skimmers out. Sorry for the ramble but its my two sense.
Mojo~

Imzadi
04/04/2009, 08:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752763#post14752763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody If this ain't the battle cry of the SUCKA I don't know what is. [/B] What does that even mean?

tufacody
04/04/2009, 08:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752763#post14752763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody

If this ain't the battle cry of the SUCKA I don't know what is. I have read just about every cone review and comment ever posted here and not one person has complained of quality when it comes to the cones. [/B][/QUOTE]

Its simple - put an I-tech, BK, ATB and WM on a table w/o their branding, and you will find that the build quality is excellent on all 4. Their are no compromises in the Chinese models, and in fact in some ways they are superior. But if you want to pay hundreds more for the "superior" yet non-existant quality benefits of a non-chinese cone, that's your right. If products are designed correctly, the Chinese have no disadvantage. And yet very few people ever site why one cone is better than the other, they just talk about "quality".

46FiatYamaha
04/04/2009, 08:37 AM
That's almost like asking how long will it take for Bubble King prices to come down. As long as there is a market for very high end equipment with exclusive and patented pumps, needle wheels, build quality, materials etc... they will stay expensive. And of course there will be other companies making what looks the same for budget prices, but without all of what makes the pricey skimmers pricey in the first place

tufacody
04/04/2009, 08:48 AM
such as? What quality features does the ATB or Vertex have over the SWC?

GSMguy
04/04/2009, 08:48 AM
Bubble king prices have come way down since proline took over distribution, replacement parts however are still astronomical.

Heck deltec and h&s prices are much higher than BK..

There are no exclusive or patented parts on the BK either.

There just skimmers, not touched by the hand of god or anything...

GSMguy
04/04/2009, 08:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758777#post14758777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
such as? What quality features does the ATB or Vertex have over the SWC?

Absolutely nothing( at least with the econo) The vertex body is molded not ten feet from the SWC..

46FiatYamaha
04/04/2009, 08:51 AM
red dragon pumps aren't exclusive to BK? The cheapest one I've been able to find is the mini 160 for still $870, which is more than an ATB econo 840, and the cylinder design has been around for quite a while longer than the cone

GSMguy
04/04/2009, 08:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758795#post14758795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 46FiatYamaha
red dragon pumps aren't exclusive to BK?

The mods to the laguna pumps done on the RD were copied by CV, SWC And ATB , you can buy pretty much the same pumps from ATB, coralvue, and SWC.

46FiatYamaha
04/04/2009, 09:06 AM
They are not the same thing, but similar. Each company takes something and tweaks it to match exactly what it's duty is. You can buy a skimmer without a pump and put on several ones that would work OK for it, or you can buy one that may be the same basic design as another, but modified to work very well for one specific skimmer, and pay more for that efficiency.

sjm817
04/04/2009, 09:29 AM
If you want an Askoll skimmer pump, you can buy it from Marine Solutions. They dont sell the whole thing yet, but do have the Askoll 1500 and the volute/PW kit.

https://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/products_new.php

As far as "quality" goes....the Honya SWC and R.E. Vertex Alpha cones are very nicely made products.

tufacody
04/04/2009, 09:54 AM
That's what I'm saying. I mean quality is always appreciated, but I don't see a clear quality advantage by any cone at this point, and yet "quality" is always raised. I dunno guys. This is a bunch of plastic that sits in water and skims fish poo. Unless you are playing football with your new cone, I wouldn't be too worried about quality amongst the existing products.

cwegescheide
04/04/2009, 10:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758597#post14758597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
Honestly I am not a big itech fan, The pumps you have to buy seperateand I am sorry the aquabee pump? Way over rated for a skimmer pump. I have tested three different ones. One from a delted the other two from DAS (deltec knockoff) skimmers. The air and water intake is not up to par with other pumps that have come out. I like the fact that a guy in the US is making these. THats a plus. But there are a few people here popping up here really pushing the ITech.I like all skimmers I mean who am I to say anything. The huge cost on cone skimmers is the cone itself. I good cylinder skimmer will work very well too. If you want a cheaper cone you could look at the eshopps cone. Then the itech. I would say those are the lower end cones on the market. The you jump up to the SWC cone. THese cones are well built the only downside is they have three pump combos for one size cone. personally I think the single sicce is a bot small but the other two combos push the cone really well.
THe Warner marine cone is very well built and uses a modded sicce to push t to around 950 lph on a pinhwheel. Then the ATB cone is well built and uses a custom volute cover that makes the sicce a really nice pump. The Alpha 250 cone is not out yet but I should have one soon. Bubble king build quality and a great pump. Should be the makings of one of the best skimmers out. Sorry for the ramble but its my two sense.
Mojo~

So you've tested the I-Tech??? Are you basing your opinion on fact or do you see AquaBee and have a preconcieved notion that it is not up to par? Origionally the I-Tech 100 was designed around the Aquabee pump, The DAS external skimmer reccomended is NOT the same as the old Aquabee. I used to have a Aquamedic Turbofloater 1000 that came with the old one. I still had that pump and tried it instead of buying a new pump. It wouldn't do hardly anything. The new Aquabee is much different. Its a hopped up motor with a different pinwheel.

I have the ATB medium skimmer I purchased about a year or so ago. I also have the I-Tech 100 with the new DAS Aquabee pump. I have both of them running on my 80 gallon frag tank just to see how they would perform. I am utterly amazed how well the I-Tech skims. It costs 1/3 as much as the ATB, Its very well built, heat welded and CNC machined. The Aquabee pulls 9w of power and pulls the skim very well. FWIW the RC tank of the month is also running the I-Tech on his tank (Emster) Feb TOTM.

The I-Tech was released to the market a little bit early to the market because of all the buzz the thread "I-Tech Skimmer Club" caused.

With this said, I-Tech has been working with Tunze and their skimmer pumps. Things are going a little slowly since Tunze is doing a lot of their manufacturing of these pumps by hand at the moment and the pumps are still in testing. If you have not already been there, I would suggest going to www.i-techskimmers.com and see whats happening. There is a lot of very good information about the skimmers.

dzhuo
04/04/2009, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758597#post14758597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
But there are a few people here popping up here really pushing the ITech.I like all skimmers I mean who am I to say anything. The huge cost on cone skimmers is the cone itself. I good cylinder skimmer will work very well too. If you want a cheaper cone you could look at the eshopps cone. Then the itech. I would say those are the lower end cones on the market.

It seems like you base your opinion on "price" when you consider what's low end or high end. I hope you will consider buying one, test it out, review it and then base your opinion on your actual experience.

cwegescheide
04/04/2009, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14761237#post14761237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dzhuo
It seems like you base your opinion on "price" when you consider what's low end or high end. I hope you will consider buying one, test it out, review it and then base your opinion on your actual experience.

Exactly.. Like I said before, The I-Tech is skimming just as well as my 1200 dollar ATB at a fraction of the price with the Aquabee pump. You actually get features that you don't get with even the ATB Econo models. The I-Tech can be fully disassembled for easy cleaning.

bimmerzs
04/05/2009, 12:00 AM
I would be willing to put my I-Tech (200) up against any of the overpriced cone, both in performance and build quality. All I care about is my skimmer cup looking like this every three day's. :) http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/bimmerzs/DSCN2957.jpg. This is from a skimmer that was still in a box, a week and a half ago. :D

Cheers,

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 07:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14761804#post14761804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cwegescheide
Exactly.. Like I said before, The I-Tech is skimming just as well as my 1200 dollar ATB at a fraction of the price with the Aquabee pump. You actually get features that you don't get with even the ATB Econo models. The I-Tech can be fully disassembled for easy cleaning.

Thank to it being properly sized, the Itech 200 would outperform the ATB XXL if I ran them both on my 75g tank...

There is no magic in the itech, it is just better sized for your system. Why haven't you sold the ATB yet?

Emory Speight
04/05/2009, 07:35 AM
bimmerzs, What pump do you have on your i-tech 200?.

cwegescheide
04/05/2009, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763582#post14763582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Thank to it being properly sized, the Itech 200 would outperform the ATB XXL if I ran them both on my 75g tank...

There is no magic in the itech, it is just better sized for your system. Why haven't you sold the ATB yet?

I might as well keep the ATB for now. The thought of selling it for half of what I paid for it makes me sick.

I'm not so sure about the size thing. I know you mentioned that before in another thread. I know a guy that has an i-tech 400 on 60 gallons and pulls a lot of skim.

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 08:34 AM
i guess you could try ordering the new ATB multi to see if it pulls more skimmate than your medium. not that there is any real reason too do that.

i just think your showing your hand by implying that the Itech is somehow better than the skimmer it is a copy of.

i know for a fact that the guy who makes Itech (not John) came to ATB first and basically shook them down, "we can make skimmers for you guys or we can knock them off and undercut your prices"....

cwegescheide
04/05/2009, 08:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763834#post14763834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i guess you could try ordering the new ATB multi to see if it pulls more skimmate than your medium. not that there is any real reason too do that.

i just think your showing your hand by implying that the Itech is somehow better than the skimmer it is a copy of.

i know for a fact that the guy who makes Itech (not John) came to ATB first and basically shook them down, "we can make skimmers for you guys or we can knock them off and undercut your prices"....

Oh geez... Are you serious??? I don't really care, I'm just a guy that wants a good skimmer thats affordable. I don't think I've ever said that the ATB is not a good skimmer... Its just expensive. The thing of it is the I-Tech is more affordable, excellent quality and skims very well. I think there is more than 2 cone skimmers on the market.. :) Even BK has a cone now.

Milhouse
04/05/2009, 10:30 AM
I love the skimmer elitists with their crazy theories, insider information and such. This forum makes me laugh some times.

cwegescheide
04/05/2009, 10:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14764445#post14764445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Milhouse
I love the skimmer elitists with their crazy theories, insider information and such. This forum makes me laugh some times.

:)

tufacody
04/05/2009, 04:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763834#post14763834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy

i know for a fact that the guy who makes Itech (not John) came to ATB first and basically shook them down, "we can make skimmers for you guys or we can knock them off and undercut your prices".... [/B]

And exactly what is wrong with this? The i-tech is American made, so they are not outsourced, and I'm aware of no magical ATB patents. Since when has bringing a good design down to a reasonable price been a bad thing in this hobby? (unless of course you paid too much for your ATB :lol: )

46FiatYamaha
04/05/2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think you're paying too much for an ATB, you are paying for the R & D that went in to it, and to have it completely copied for way cheaper isn't really supporting the people who designs these things in the first place. Would you rather go to a local privately owned LFS and get a bucket of salt for $60 or go to petsmart and get it for $50 and ultimately put the LFS out of business?

Milhouse
04/05/2009, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14766988#post14766988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 46FiatYamaha
I don't think you're paying too much for an ATB, you are paying for the R & D that went in to it, and to have it completely copied for way cheaper isn't really supporting the people who designs these things in the first place. Would you rather go to a local privately owned LFS and get a bucket of salt for $60 or go to petsmart and get it for $50 and ultimately put the LFS out of business?

My God, some of you people act like they created a hydrogen fueled engine. R&D? They aren't curing cancer. I'm not denying that some R&D went in to these skimmers, but $400 worth on each skimmer? You believe what you want, but I ain't buying it. Don't want people copying it? Find a way to patent the design.

And your analogy of salt stinks. It's more like $60 salt from some mail order company or $30 for salt from the LFS. Think about it.

46FiatYamaha
04/05/2009, 07:53 PM
Not to get off topic but I don't think I've ever seen a bucket of salt for $30, it was what you said, an analogy. To be used to make a point. If all the copycat skimmers were as good as the originals, why does every TOTM have original skimmers instead of SWC's, MSX's, etc... It seems as this hobbies motto is 'you get what you pay for'. In the motorcycle world this is what seperates the Ducati 1098 rider from the Suzuki TL1000R rider :)

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14766021#post14766021 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
And exactly what is wrong with this? The i-tech is American made, so they are not outsourced, and I'm aware of no magical ATB patents. Since when has bringing a good design down to a reasonable price been a bad thing in this hobby? (unless of course you paid too much for your ATB :lol: )

Nothings wrong with it. Shhesh I was just trying to point out that the Itechs were based on the basic design of the ATB so why try to claim that 100 will outskim a medium, the medium has twice the air and a much bigger body/ neck it may just be too big for his tank.

SHOmuchFUN
04/05/2009, 08:29 PM
Honestly I am not a big itech fan, The pumps you have to buy seperateand I am sorry the aquabee pump? Way over rated for a skimmer pump. I have tested three different ones. One from a delted the other two from DAS (deltec knockoff) skimmers. The air and water intake is not up to par with other pumps that have come out.
Is this post serious?
I know you've tested a lot of skimmers, but how can you pass judgment on something you haven't tested? :confused:

Milhouse
04/05/2009, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14767273#post14767273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 46FiatYamaha
Not to get off topic but I don't think I've ever seen a bucket of salt for $30, it was what you said, an analogy. To be used to make a point. If all the copycat skimmers were as good as the originals, why does every TOTM have original skimmers instead of SWC's, MSX's, etc... It seems as this hobbies motto is 'you get what you pay for'. In the motorcycle world this is what seperates the Ducati 1098 rider from the Suzuki TL1000R rider :)

So if the I-tech is a copycat....and the February TOTM had an I-Tech 100 on it. Yeah, exactly.

I still think you missed my point on the salt thing. My point was you had it wrong. The ATB is the $60 bucket of salt you buy on the internet. The $30 bucket is the I-Tech that is made in the US and is supporting your LFS. Make sense? My main point was the difference is much greater than $10 anyway.

mojo~
04/05/2009, 09:09 PM
lol, ITs crazy how so much gets twisted in these forums. I dont base it off price honestly. PRice has nothing to do with how it will skim, I think we will all agree on that correct? OK THe aquabee pumps I am familiar with are the 2000/1 pumps. Had them stock and meshed out. I am not a fan of them or a stock sicce as far as that goes. As far as the itech guys bouncing in forums I think I have proven my point on that afte reading the following posts. As these are the same users in the itech forum. My hat of to itech though. I think they are off to a great start in making skimmers. I have not tested one you all are correct. If you wat to send me one to review I would be ore than happy to do so and ill send it back to you. As far as me stating my rating. The apha cone I think will be better because of the top notch pump. build quality, and specs. These havent tested yet. The Atb I put over the K2 becuase of the rotation of a stock sicce can start either way. The K2 is built really well and thework Jon has done on the stock sicce to make it his own is very nice. There has ben alot of time and thought put into his skimmer. AS I am sure there has been in the itech , ATB, And vertex. But let me say this. When I reviewed the WM k2 I had alot of ATB owners mad at me for compairing it to there medium. Its no different now. I simply post what I know, What I can assume based on all the skimmers I have owned and tested, and well specs and design. This whole website is about people helping other people. Its that simple.

mojo~
04/05/2009, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763582#post14763582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy

I agree with GSMguy on this one.

thereefaquarist
04/05/2009, 09:55 PM
The pump is what makes the skimmer not the body and it does not matter how great the pump is or how much air it pulls if it does not fit the body and the skimmer wont skim well if it does not fit the bioload of your tank. I dont think any of the quality skimmer companies are trying to skam us, so fallow the rating of a skimmer and use the one rated for your tank and if you dont think it is pulling all the junk out your tank than get a second one. Just my opinion.

dzhuo
04/05/2009, 10:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14767794#post14767794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
If you wat to send me one to review I would be ore than happy to do so and ill send it back to you.

There is no reason to ask others to send you a skimmer to review when you have bought other more expensive skimmers to review in the first place. Clearly it's not a money issue for you, it's more of a motive and whether you are really interested in testing I-Tech. Judging from what you have said in this thread and skimmers you have reviewed in the past, I don't think you consider the I-Tech to be "high end" enough for you to test tho.

cwegescheide
04/05/2009, 10:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14768188#post14768188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dzhuo
There is no reason to ask others to send you a skimmer to review when you have bought other more expensive skimmers to review in the first place. Clearly it's not a money issue for you, it's more of a motive and whether you are really interested in testing I-Tech. Judging from what you have said in this thread and skimmers you have reviewed in the past, I don't think you consider the I-Tech to be "high end" enough for you to test tho.

Maybe if I-Tech doubled the price he'd consider it high end. :lol:

And GSMguy. I dont think I've said the I-Tech skimmed more than the ATB. Actually right now the I-Tech 100 is skimming the same as the ATB medium in my test on the 80 gallon total water volume frag tank I have. You can read about it at www.i-techskimmers.com.

cwegescheide
04/05/2009, 10:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14767545#post14767545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SHOmuchFUN
Is this post serious?
I know you've tested a lot of skimmers, but how can you pass judgment on something you haven't tested? :confused:

+1

dzhuo
04/05/2009, 10:32 PM
No, I think GSMguy is saying you purposely tune the I-Tech to perform better in a smaller tank and that the ATB medium (what he said XXL) is too big so it doesn't produce as much skimmate.

cwegescheide
04/05/2009, 10:41 PM
No I can assure you I did everything I could to get the most performance out of the ATB.

Yeah, GSMguy and I actually went thru this a while back when I first posted this stuff. Origionally if i recall that is what he thought. So I ran another test, showing the setup before and after. All that stuff is on i-tech's website.

mojo~
04/05/2009, 10:44 PM
Well there are three of you here that are big itech supporters as you are all over the itech forum. Thats awesome. and well its not about price. And I don't pay for all the skimmers. But its all good. I really hope that the i tech skimmer helps bring the cone skimmer market price down. That would be great for all of us. Their are so many skimmers that I think are really good that don't get talked about at all. Vertex in series, ETSS, Bermuda, and MRC ocean force are all great units. None of them cones. I have reviewed skimmers that cost from the range of $25 to close to $1000. It isn't a matter of cost. This got way off topic here and I am sorry if I was part of that.
I don't see the cones skimmer price coming down too much as it is kinda the hot item at the moment. What I would look for is some great deals on some cylinder skimmers. You don't need a cone to get great performance. I have said this along with others here. Its about a balance of the pump and skimmer design. Mojo~

Masterofnonsense
04/06/2009, 12:08 AM
I am curious when the price of cones is going to go down. Correct me if I'm wrong but SWC/MSX offer their 200 series of skimmer for around $300 or so. The cone version using the same pump goes for $650. It seems like $350 just for the cone body is quite a markup.

I wonder as the cones become more popular if the cylindrical bodied skimmer will go away, and the price on the cones will come down close to $300.

redmarble
04/06/2009, 12:48 AM
You might see cones in the $300 range (or less)... if only Coralife, Red Sea, or Kent Marine decide on making cones.

BlueStag
04/06/2009, 01:49 AM
Over the years I've heard similar debates with microwaves, cell phones, plasma tv's, computers, cd players. They all came down in price. Got to go with history. I'm gonna lay all my money on it. Cones are going to come down in price some day. :rolleyes:

SHOmuchFUN
04/06/2009, 06:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14768399#post14768399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
Well there are three of you here that are big itech supporters as you are all over the itech forum. Thats awesome. and well its not about price. And I don't pay for all the skimmers. But its all good. I really hope that the i tech skimmer helps bring the cone skimmer market price down. That would be great for all of us. Their are so many skimmers that I think are really good that don't get talked about at all. Vertex in series, ETSS, Bermuda, and MRC ocean force are all great units. None of them cones. I have reviewed skimmers that cost from the range of $25 to close to $1000. It isn't a matter of cost. This got way off topic here and I am sorry if I was part of that.
I don't see the cones skimmer price coming down too much as it is kinda the hot item at the moment. What I would look for is some great deals on some cylinder skimmers. You don't need a cone to get great performance. I have said this along with others here. Its about a balance of the pump and skimmer design. Mojo~
How is this deviating from the topic? The topic is about the cost of cone skimmers... :lol:

The performance of these skimmers SHOULD be based on the tanks that they are rated for. Saying that the Aquebee isn't as strong of a performer as the sicce is pretty short-sighted especially after you yourself said, and I quote: "I have said this along with others here. Its about a balance of the pump and skimmer design." So, according to your words, judging the skimmer solely on the fact that it uses an Aquebee, would be inaccurate/biased. No?

The Aquabee is only recommended for the I-tech 100 which is not a good fit for a sicce, or certainly not an airstar. Not everyone NEEDS a pump suited for a 300+ gallon tank on our <100gal tanks. Sure, I could pay $1000 for a skimmer that'll draw more air than my I-tech 100, but for what? I already skim all there is to skim from my 75gal reef, why would I pay another $600+ for something that's going to do the same as my I-tech 100 for $600 less? The majority of tanks, I'd say are within the 100gal range anyway. Tanks of 100gal+ are definitely in the minority and as advancements continue in this hobby, it is becoming much easier to create successful "nano" tanks that don't need $1200 cone skimmers rated to 400+ gallons in size.

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14768327#post14768327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dzhuo
No, I think GSMguy is saying you purposely tune the I-Tech to perform better in a smaller tank and that the ATB medium (what he said XXL) is too big so it doesn't produce as much skimmate.

No, I don't think he is being dishonest, I do think the medium is maybe oversized for his bioload, I imagine the same would happen if I switched to a medium with airstar or an alpha cone, I just don't have Enough organics to create a foam head on a skimmer with a 5- 6 inch neck.

As to the guy with the 400 on his 100g or whatever, I would ask how long he has had it? many times new skimmers will pull nasty gunk for the first month or two then once they catch up with the bioload skimmate decreases.

mojo~
04/06/2009, 09:34 AM
I am not going to spend my time defending myself in this forum. Let me just ask this question? I will have had 3 cone skimmers to compare at the end of this week. And about 25 some other skimmers to compare how they all work. And as far as the aquabee pump. I jus didnt care for the 3 I owned. You ll might have better experiences. Thats fine. The sicce, I am not a fan of a stock one either. But there are 3 users in here that are big I tech pushers. And I dont push any skimmer to anyone. if they ask me I tell them what I would suggest based on what I know. Given their budget, tank size, sump space and load. I have a total ssystem volume myself around 100 gallons. I agree so many skimmers come out and are rated for tanks much larger than what we all need. And o you dont need a $1000 skimmer. In some cases you get what you what you pay for but there are many that do a great job for around $200 to $300. Its some of the little things that are taken care of in some of the higher end skimmers. If there was no need for higher end skimmers in the hobby they would never sell any correct? well there would be a few that would buy them becuase they cost more. ButI am not made of money thats for sure. I am a dad work full time and go to school. So I am busy and work hard for the items I have. I am to try to help all of us. Not many people have taken the time out and the investment to try out and test this many skimmers and have a hands on experience with all these units. I am glad you all have a great experience with your units. Let me ask you this? How does it compare to say a AquaC, ETSS, BErmuda, Bubble King, Vertex,ATB, WArner MArine, Octopus, and msx skimmers to just name a few. HAve you ran all these on your system to compare it too? Just a thought.
This is my last post in this thread.But I am glad other cone skimmers have come out. It will help in bring others down in price or find ways to make them more affordable. Good luck
Mojo~

corbett_n
04/06/2009, 09:36 AM
are they that much better than any other kind of skimmer?

barfish
04/06/2009, 09:38 AM
i find it funny how people who have never used or even seen a product can make judgment on it. i know prob. 15 people with the i-tech includind emmit the totm winner and they are awesome skimmers. i wanted to purchase the large but the wait was to long and purchased the orca 200 instead and have regreated it. john tells you what pumps works really good and just alright. he could do what most companies do and just sell a basic pump that we are going to have to modify. he has takin the time to do his own r&d to to find which pump has the best performance. how many shops will tell you hey this pump works the best but i cant get it for you right now but so and so has it. he cares more about your satisfaction than his pocket book. as far as it being a copy, everything is a copy of something else but with improvements. the i-tech can be completely dissasembled in less than 60 seconds. you can take the whole thing apart for cleaning. i know the guys that make them i dont think they went to atb and jacked anyone up agains a wall. so a cone skimmer that works just as good as any other high quality cone with the satisfaction in knowing that its made in the U.S.A for half to a third the price to me seems like a win.

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 09:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770061#post14770061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corbett_n
are they that much better than any other kind of skimmer?

what the cones? nobobdy can say for sure, but something about them has convinced more than a couple manufacturers to get in on it.:smokin:

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 09:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770072#post14770072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barfish
i know the guys that make them i dont think they went to atb and jacked anyone up agains a wall.

I dont think they tried to strongarm ATB, just offered before doing it for themselves.

barfish
04/06/2009, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14767273#post14767273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 46FiatYamaha
Not to get off topic but I don't think I've ever seen a bucket of salt for $30, it was what you said, an analogy. To be used to make a point. If all the copycat skimmers were as good as the originals, why does every TOTM have original skimmers instead of SWC's, MSX's, etc... It seems as this hobbies motto is 'you get what you pay for'. In the motorcycle world this is what seperates the Ducati 1098 rider from the Suzuki TL1000R rider :) i get $30 buckets of salt from my lfs who started i-tech. and you cant compare the biggest dud suzuki put out against the baddest mofo italy ever put out. its more like comparing an odysee skimmer to a b.k.

noboddi
04/06/2009, 11:14 AM

Most TOTMs have been up and running for years, and never changed out their skimmers I would bet. The skimmer design changes have only really happened in the last year or two. The skimmers they bought were state of the art when they bought them

Also, never lose sight that the skimmer does not make the difference. The aquarist has far more effect on the tank then a skimmer, and it doesn't matter what skimmer those guys run they will have success

dzhuo
04/06/2009, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770048#post14770048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
if they ask me I tell them what I would suggest based on what I know

The problem is you are suggesting something you don't know anything about. You keep mention the AB pump that happen to be a choice for one of the ITech skimmers and base your opinion entirely on that.

I don't own an ITech but I did spend time learning about this skimmer. I hope you will do the same.

fourzero
04/06/2009, 01:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770115#post14770115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
I dont think they tried to strongarm ATB, just offered before doing it for themselves.

So which is it? Did he shake them down or just offer to make them? You're whistling a different tune here, and this is still the same thread.. what changed?

You are the epitome of unfounded conspiracy theories, I have read many of your posts on other threads.

Versus
04/06/2009, 01:39 PM
whoops wrong thread

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 01:42 PM
Well I realize my first post was a little strong, it is partially my conspiracy theory. The builder came to ATB asked if they wanted their help and ATB turned them down, what happened afterwards is what makes it seem weird to me, they could have made the skimmers look different than the ATB instead they just copied it. Not a real suprise I guess, happens in buisness everyday.

It was a kneejerk post I apologize.

ichthyman
04/06/2009, 01:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14771559#post14771559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
The builder came to ATB asked if they wanted their help and ATB turned them down

That would be incorrect. Please stop trying to create drama where there is none.

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 02:07 PM
Sorry John, I realize what I was implying may be incorrect, but I doubt I'm wrong about Chris and his conversation with victor taking place.

No need for drama, I was going to start a all brand cone skimmer club thread, a cone utopia where we could openly discuss our experiences with different cones just yesterday but never got around to it, now this.... :(

I really don't want to start a fight here, I only started to post here to point out that the price had come down, not to put down the itech, I have posted in the itech club a couple times, never started a fight.

CMcNeil
04/06/2009, 02:31 PM
No Nick you are incorrect about my conversation with Victor,he contacted me that is all I will say

46FiatYamaha
04/06/2009, 02:36 PM
I think there is a new unit that has opened down at the Tang Police Station

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 02:38 PM
ok Chris, honestly I apologize, victor mentioned it many months ago I was wrong.

ichthyman
04/06/2009, 02:39 PM
A conversation indeed took place. However, your various portrayals of events are incorrect, inflammatory, and irrelevant to the topic at hand. You obviously have inside information of the business dealings of ATB USA. Information that a mere marine aquarium hobbyist interested in cone skimmers would not have. I'm forced to come to the conclusion that either your source, yourself, or both have an agenda.

GSMguy
04/06/2009, 02:48 PM
No john it's not like that, I am meerly an interested hobbiest.

And like I said I was wrong, hopefully you can understand

I don't have any more knowlege of ATBs dealings than your customers have about your operation, victor is not behind this it's just me. The only time victor mentioned anything was many months ago, I came my own conclusions which I will say now must have been false.

Any chance one of my apologies is enought to let this die?

reefloverd1
04/06/2009, 03:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14759049#post14759049 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
That's what I'm saying. I mean quality is always appreciated, but I don't see a clear quality advantage by any cone at this point, and yet "quality" is always raised. I dunno guys. This is a bunch of plastic that sits in water and skims fish poo. Unless you are playing football with your new cone, I wouldn't be too worried about quality amongst the existing products.

WELL said indeed!!!

BlueCorn
04/06/2009, 04:09 PM
I think that this has degraded about far enough. There are a number of folks on this thread with "skin" in the game. I recommend that all of them take a moment to review our [ua].