PDA

View Full Version : My sump is a dump?

HAMsmith
01/13/2009, 09:10 AM
This is my first system with a sump. I have a 20L display and a regular 10g sump.

The sump has a first chamber with the display influent and a skimmer. I have a baffle wall and then a section with chaeto and some live rock rubble. My return pump is behind a half wall but is essentially in the same section as the LR/macro algae. I use a Maxi-Jet 1200 for the return.

My questions are:

1. I know my flow is low with the MJ1200 but I think that is appropriate for a sump. However, I'm getting cyano on my baffles and sometimes in my chaeto ball. Plus the top of the water in the LR/macro algae area is really stagnant. Is cyano common in a sump? I don't have any in my display. My current solution is to I rotate the chaeto ball and suck up the cyano from the baffle area.

2. I currently only have a few pieces of LR rubble in the sump. I wonder if I should add more LR. So is it better to have the extra water volume or more LR in such a small system?

3. I don't have any sand in the sump and generate a good bit of detritus. I like sandless as I can suck up the detritus easily, but is barebottom better than sand or even a DSB?

Thanks,

Martin

spw4949
01/13/2009, 11:00 AM
Water parameters always help, how are your phosphate levels? If your getting cyano in your sump 1 possibility is definately flow. Try increasing your flow by either adding a small powerhead or you could even add a dual airpump and put an airstone in each section of your fuge to help with flow & surface agitation. As far as the live rock vs. water volume question that would depend on your bioload. What's in your tank? Is it fish only with live rock(fowlr) or reef? With bare bottom you will never get the nitrifying bacteria in your sump, the whole idea behind a DSB is to house nitrifying bacteria so while you may like bare bottom like I said you won't get the same benfits you would from a deep sand bed. 1 option is maybe you could put a DSB in the section of your sump that you have your chaeto in.

sdc19982002
01/13/2009, 11:03 AM
1. The sump is where you want your algea growth. try adding a small power head in the cheato chamber to deal with the stagnant water.

2. You dont need the rock in the sump, keep it in the display.

3. IMO I would do a deep sand bed . Use a filter sock on your drain to keep detritus down.

HAMsmith
01/13/2009, 11:46 AM
Bioload is low...one neon goby and one small PJ Cardinal. CUC of 3 margarita snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab. Corals are all frags...5 LPS, 1 SPS, and 2 soft.

Water parameters are consistently good and I have no detectable phosphates. My temp does run a bit higher than I like, 78.5 no lights/80 with lights.

I'll research a DSB and see how I could mod my sump to house one.

Filter sock is possible with some mods to the sump. I have a bunch of 10 micron ones I use at work. What is the usual size for them in the aquarium hobby?

I will also look into the small PH idea.

Boy does a 10g sump get crowded fast!

Thanks for the replies!

sdc19982002
01/13/2009, 11:57 AM
100 to 200 micron is normal. Can you do a 20 high sump?