PDA

View Full Version : Relatively hands off reef????

SmknReefer
01/13/2009, 05:52 PM
I have a 90 gallon going just fine with a few mushrooms and zoos however I am wanting to set up my tank to where I don't have to do much with regard to keeping my reef happy and healthy. AKA I don't want to have to put my hands in, gloves or not at all.

I'm wanting to know what I should get (pumps, calcuim, etc) to achieve that effect. I'm open to all suggestions and hints. Believe me my goal is not to be lazy, I still plan to have to spot feed with a tukey baster... just I want to figure out a better way to supplement all my doses effectively.
Thanks!!!

As of right now, I hand monitor, and adjust accordingly...I am in the process of moving from a 55 to the 90, the 90 will have a sump and fuge, wheras the 55 does not....

michealprater
01/13/2009, 06:02 PM
Google Dialyseas

Ichyface
01/13/2009, 06:34 PM
get your boyfriend to do it for you.:D

Sk8r
01/13/2009, 06:37 PM
with just softies, running carbon occasionally and testing/water change once weekly should do it for your tank, with an ATO and a logbook, plus a willingness to let species duke it out for placement, as softies will. Keep a very low non-combative fish load, feed moderately, run a fuge (feeds corals as well, imho) and you don't have to intervene too often.

Playa-1
01/13/2009, 07:03 PM
I use a controller, a large kalk reservoir and a good dosing pump. That takes care of topping off, Calcium and ALK supplements. It safeguards heaters, Controls lighting, monitors some of my parameters real-time, tracks parameter history and provides a plethora of other safeguards and benefits if you wish to utilize them. I still empty the skimmer cup and swap out a filter sock a couple times per week. A water change every week or two which could be automated, but I don't really feel the need. It's about as automated as I care to get for the time being.

If you not going to have stony corals you could still use a Controller, ATO system, and a dosing system for a two part solution.

Either way you will still need to test water at least a couple times per month to make sure everything is in order and make regular water changes.

SmknReefer
01/14/2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the real responses....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14148581#post14148581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ichyface
get your boyfriend to do it for you.:D
:blown:

Playa1, what brand pump/doser do you have? I'm not wanting to go super expensive but I am willing to spend a little bit for quality.
In the 55 I have an orange sponge, zoos, flower pot, torch, carnation, and a brain... so I've already started the transition into SPS and LPS with the brain right? At this point I have a sleeper goby, green chromis, 2 blennies, cleaner wrasse and a clarkii clownfish that was kinda dumped on me. He seems friendly enough. I want more coral and not so much on the fishes, but I'm big in inverts. Serveral shrimp coral banded, fire, cleaner, peppermint, with some emerald crabs, snails and hermits.

Oh and dialyseas, YIKES $$$.

michealprater
01/14/2009, 10:36 AM
$$$$ yes, but it is the ultimate hands off system! :D

seapug
01/14/2009, 11:39 AM
There's endless gadgets that can automate many aspects, but I think Sk8r really hit the nail on the head. Setting up an ATO eliminates the daily chore of topoffs (best thing I ever installed) and keeping a generally light/balanced bioload will allow the tank to better handle its waste products-- which reduces the amount of time you spend cleaning glass, picking algae, etc.

There's also the factor of time. Reef tanks tend to become more stable and "self sustaining" over time.

VacavilleFC3S
01/14/2009, 12:14 PM
i don't think it's possible

m0nk
01/14/2009, 12:20 PM
No matter what equipment you're running there will be times you need to put your hands in the tank.... or eventually you'll get to the point where you'll constantly want to move things around. As you get more experienced your coral tastes will also change, it's inevitable, so you'll end up with LPS and eventually maybe even SPS before too long. :D

Ichyface
01/14/2009, 06:25 PM
It was just a joke. If that offends you well I dont know what to say. Im not going to apologize for joking around. I can't believe that offended you.

Whats the matter no sence of humor

But all kidding aside, if your to prissy,... I mean if it's to gross for you to put you hands in and dig out something dead or slimy you need to find a new hobby

Or hears a though pay someone

Rae C.
01/14/2009, 07:21 PM
Ichyface, Chill dude. Sarcasm doesn't read well on a thread.

A fairly hands free tank is entirely possible. Time to stabilize is the hardest part of this hobby IMO. Once its stable, water topoffs and water changes are really all that's needed for a mostly soft/lps and light bioload tank. Occassionally test the water. Do small weekly changes, and daily top offs (which can be automated). I find my reef tank much easier to care for than I originally thought when my husband brought it home for my birthday present. Surprise!

This hobby can be as hands on and intensive as you want it to be.

reefworm
01/14/2009, 07:22 PM
for the times you must - gloves. NOT kidding. bristles from worms not only hurt like the dickens on occasion, but some have some pretty bad allergic reactions - not to mention some of the nastier bacteria that can invade via micro skin cuts. look at some of our vendor-sponsors for the elbow-high types

Rae C.
01/14/2009, 07:31 PM
I forgot to mention that my 65gal is fairly hands-off with a HOB fuge and HOB skimmer. No external canisters, pumps, filters, dosers.

Definitely shoulder length gloves for that once a year, inevitable rescue plunge.

I'm stittin' happy and entertained with the tank. Again, the hobby can take as much time and mmoney as you want to throw at it.

Ichyface
01/14/2009, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14157094#post14157094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by out
Ichyface, Chill dude. Sarcasm doesn't read well on a thread.

A fairly hands free tank is entirely possible. Time to stabilize is the hardest part of this hobby IMO. Once its stable, water topoffs and water changes are really all that's needed for a mostly soft/lps and light bioload tank. Occassionally test the water. Do small weekly changes, and daily top offs (which can be automated). I find my reef tank much easier to care for than I originally thought when my husband brought it home for my birthday present. Surprise!

This hobby can be as hands on and intensive as you want it to be.

Thats why I put a little smile guy thingie on my reply to let her know I was kidding, even if I wasnt she could still play the part and get him/her to do tank chores to get him/her into the hobby, sorry I wasnt more specific take for granted poeple might not get me.

Anyway there are way to many reasons to list why someone WILL have to put their hands in the tank, what if you get cyano or a fish dies or pests or a rock falls or a little person drops a penny in your tank because they made a wish, oh sorry another story lol. point is it cant happen at some point maybe not in the near future but it can and will happen at some point in your tanks life.

Playa-1
01/14/2009, 08:57 PM
My system really isn't all that complicated. I use a Aquatronica Controller and a commercial dosing pump, but something like the litermeter would work just fine. The controllers and dosing pump do cost $$$ but an excellent investment if your going to be staying in this hobby for a while. You would need to shop around for controllers as some are cheaper then others. The ReefKeeper elite looks interesting but I'm not in the Market for one :D, so I haven't researched it much. It all boils down to how automated you want to get and how much money your willing to throw at it. A simple ATO to eliminate the daily topoff chore goes along way. A set of dosing pumps on a controller or a timer of some sort would be the next step.

Another consideration could be something as simple as a litermeter and a Kalk Reservoir. With a little tweaking you could get that to handle your dosing and ATO.

I still mess around with the tank quite a bit but the chores that are considered a PIA are pretty much automated in my case.

Ichyface
01/14/2009, 09:17 PM
Yes but do you ever or have you ever put your hands in the tank? You can make the tank as automated as you want, but you still have to get ''in there'' from time to time.

I get from "I JUST DON'T WANT TO PUT MY HANDS IN GLOVES OR NOT''' means she doesnt want to put here hand in the tank, as far as dosing suppliments is some thing she mentions later and a differant subject or am I misunderstanding this post.

Playa-1
01/14/2009, 09:53 PM
I don't think you can manage a tank without the occasional hand in the tank but with the right tools and automation you can keep that to a minimum.

Ichyface
01/14/2009, 09:59 PM
agreed. but thats what I dont understand is the hole hand in the tank thing is that what she meant? or was she talking about dosing? or both I'M SO CONFUSED.

Playa-1
01/14/2009, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14158284#post14158284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ichyface
agreed. but thats what I dont understand is the hole hand in the tank thing is that what she meant? or was she talking about dosing? or both I'M SO CONFUSED.

Well they make grab tools, nets, scoops, gloves and other equipment to aid in keeping your hands out of the tank. I like to keep that part to a minimum myself. I agree that the wording is a little confusing but I think it's may be a little like your off the wall humor. I don't think either were meant to be taken all that literally. It's not practical to think you could maintain a tank without ever putting your hands in it but you can set it up to keep that part to a bare minimum.

Ichyface
01/14/2009, 10:28 PM
I can understand that.

I said I wasnt but im going to anyway..... SORRY Smknreeker wait.... I think I just got what your screen name means.... smoking reefers is bad !!! (that was a joke)

for real sorry to jack your up thread an all