PDA

View Full Version : sorry to be a PIA but... GLASS vs ACRYLIC

spamreefnew
01/13/2009, 07:22 PM
some of you must have seen my old post about my existing tank and its scratches. well now i am saving $ for an upgrade. the new tank will be a bowfront,half circle,or rectangle w/h round corners,,aprox 100 gallons. i have been thinking about acrylic , as acrylic can be drilled and the scratches can be repaired. i have always had glass tanks in the past. so.....how do you like you acrylic tanks??? is it e-z to remove scratches from the plastic without destroying my reef?? i only ask because i plan on making this my FINAL and want it to be nice for years to come.

tkeracer619
01/13/2009, 07:35 PM
Acrylic tanks tend to have a usable life of 10 years. Many will last longer but most will have serious crazing and seam issues after that time period. Light scratches are easily removed but you will most likely be able to tell where the scratch was. Since you have a long history with tanks I would go with glass and be careful not to scratch it. As long as you are careful with the mag cleaner and use a scraper to get the stuff close to the sand you should be able to get many more years out of a glass tank then acrylic.

Fish can't scratch glass but they will most certainly scratch acrylic over time.