PDA

View Full Version : Fox face has spots? (not ich)

Chris&Mel
01/14/2009, 11:40 AM
So wile doing my water change this morning i noticed these spots on him.....can anyone tell me what it is? I know its not ich and I don't think its from fighting as he is the only fish in there. Could it be from my coral banded shrip?
The only other things in there are
A bunch of snails, a bunch of hermits and a cleaner shrimp

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/chris121277/P1130005.jpg

Chris&Mel
01/14/2009, 11:41 AM
I know its a bad pic, lights don't turn on for a few hours yet

jubjub
01/14/2009, 12:14 PM
might sound sutpid but is there a possibility he had something and he scratched himself to get it off???

michellejy
01/14/2009, 12:20 PM
^ That doesn't sound stupid. I was thinking he may have been startled and hit a rock.

I have read coral banded shrimp can pinch fish, but I thought they mostly went after fins. I had one years ago, but he never bothered my fish.

Chris&Mel
01/14/2009, 01:24 PM
I supose thats possible, he does freak if anyone but me walks by the tank

michellejy
01/14/2009, 02:03 PM
Foxfaces seem to have some sort of complex about being the biggest fish in the tank. Once mine was moved from quarantine to the main tank with a similarly sized copperband butterfly, he calmed down a lot. He's still a bit nervous when someone approaches the tank rapidly, but he spends most of the day swimming within 2" of the butterfly. I'm hoping once he has been in the main tank longer (it's been less than a week since the move), he'll calm down a lot more.

btb72
01/14/2009, 02:45 PM
I used to have a foxface that when it got scared it would turn into a ghost and have spots all over it.

jhildebrand
01/14/2009, 03:46 PM
Hard to tell from the pic, but I think everyone else is right. My spotted rabbit has scuffed himself on rocks just darting after food. Heals quickly if that's the case. I wouldn't blame the cleaner crew...

Chris&Mel
01/14/2009, 05:28 PM
Thanx guys, mine does turn black with white spots if you scare him and he's trying to hide

fishox
01/14/2009, 07:04 PM
that is not scratches, or damage from a clean up crew or another fish. that is a defensive reaction they have to stress they turn dark all over or in blotches. think of it as camoflage. totally normal behavior.

Chris&Mel
01/14/2009, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14156945#post14156945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishox
that is not scratches, or damage from a clean up crew or another fish. that is a defensive reaction they have to stress they turn dark all over or in blotches. think of it as camoflage. totally normal behavior.

If you look at the pic, I'm talking about the scratches or marks just behind his gills. Not his usual color change to hide (it has been on him all day) and he has changed colors today as well