PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for a 215

spin117
01/14/2009, 05:31 PM
I just bought an Oceanic 215 (72" L x 24"W x 30"H). I am looking to keep SPS and was wondering my best option for lighting to be kept in my perfecto Prestige Canopy.

Some background, the canopy is 9" from the center brace and 10" from the waters surface.

I am looking at 250W to keep the electric bill down while still having functional coral growth. I was also considering electronic ballasts (icecap etc.) for their advertised 10-15% energy efficiency above the magnetics.

I was initially thinking of retrofitting the canopy but then I assume I would require a glass UV shield to prevent water from splashing on the MH bulbs resulting in bulb explosion. I do see some do not use a UV/glass shield for their retros.

What is the benefit of supplementing 10K bulbs with actinics(either T5 or PC's) as opposed to just running a 14K MH bulb alone?

I was then thinking of just using the Current-USA outer orbit fixture (3x250 HQI run by e-ballast supplemented with 8x 24W T5's) and cutting holes in the hood where the fans are located.

Another option I was thinking was utilizing 4 x 250W 14K spider reflector retrofits as this may be better to get around the large oceanic center brace.

Any input?