PDA

View Full Version : Vortechs in glass tanks

hpglow
01/15/2009, 08:17 AM
In the Vortech manual it warns of potential tank destruction due to the violent action of the waves. I just want to know if anyone out here has experianced this this first hand or if this is just a CYA statement by Ecotech?

kretzkiller
01/15/2009, 08:24 AM
I would guess it's a CYA statement. under most circumstances the waves used are not that violent.

ReefWreak
01/15/2009, 08:32 AM
It's the same warning on how they say a Tunze Wavebox will reduce the lifespan of your tank by 35% or something like that. I know some people on RC who have had the same glass tank set up for 35+ years (paulb), and then we had someone locally who had a custom built glass tank fail after 2 years (a 375 too :( :( :( ). So what is the lifetime of a tank, and then what is 35% off of that? Unfortunately nobody knows....

If you're using a commercially made tank that you bought new, and all the seals look good, and you haven't messed too much with the rim around the top, then you should be fine for at least the life of the pump, let alone the tank..

macreefster
01/15/2009, 09:07 AM
i was wondering about this myself. i am using two vortechs, anti synched in pulse mode making quite the wave action and i could see where the consistent force of the water back and forth could put much more stress on the tank. i have a rimless tank and therefore no re-inforcement around the top of the tank. i am adding a eurobracing type rim around the top in acrylic... i need it due to the amount of wave action and it should strengthen the tank also. would be very interested if anyone has had a tank fail due to either using multiple vortechs or waveboxes.