PDA

View Full Version : Natural sunlight. Good or bad?

wuster77
01/15/2009, 08:09 PM
Anyone know anything about using natural sunlight in a reef tank? I am new with this and was wondering if it can be used since I can get a least a few hours of natural sunlight through a window if I just open the blinds.

Thanks.

stylolvr
01/15/2009, 08:18 PM
Any natural sunlight is beneficial. There are people who use only natural sunlight for their tanks with great success. Have no fear about extra algae, as nutrients are the true source. Keep the water params good, and let the corals enjoy the sun!

Post pics!

redfishsc
01/15/2009, 08:32 PM
I personally would not hesitate to light my tank with natural sunlight: you sure can't beat the electric bill when you do that!

Since I live in an apartment, it's not an option (well, and carving out for a solar light for a nano is a bit overkill anyhow).

I would want to supplement with blues/actinics, however. You should be able to grow SPS like mad.

wuster77
01/15/2009, 10:04 PM
Oh wow. I guess free light upgrade coming right up!! Thanks guys. I'll give it a try when I get my new frags this weekend.

BTW, redfish, I was wondering how high up you are placing your acropora. I am not sure how high of a light intensity they actually require. I have 6x18w T5s, but I can only place them 6-12inches from the surface (although most of my rocks are about a foot from the surface). Is that any good (don't factor in the possible sunlight at the moment)?

Thanks.

Zebodog
01/15/2009, 10:08 PM
Natural sunlight is the prefered light source of wild corals :)

m8j4c
01/15/2009, 10:30 PM
I imagine that the corals wouldn't keep the same bright colors though right???
plus with "store bought" lights, you can enjoy your photo period a little more and adjust it to your schedule.

wuster77
01/15/2009, 10:42 PM
m8j4c, any reason why they won't keep the colors?

IFbettas
01/15/2009, 10:58 PM
I assume you would use the sunlight as secondary light right? My tank gets a few hours of sunlight a day, but mostly in the summer. I doubt that it is enough to sustain the corals, but they must utilize it somehow.

Zebodog
01/15/2009, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14166598#post14166598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m8j4c
I imagine that the corals wouldn't keep the same bright colors though right???
plus with "store bought" lights, you can enjoy your photo period a little more and adjust it to your schedule.

You will most certainly have greater control and flexibility over the lighting schedule. I really can't speak to the colouration of corals under natural light although I suspect that you wouldn't see the same level of intensity with all natural light that you would with an array of specialized T5's or MH.

iamwrasseman
01/15/2009, 11:00 PM
its simply the best ! no doubt

jbird69
01/15/2009, 11:21 PM
What about the possibility of light shock. Theres so much concern expressed about exposing your corals to a new, more extreme light level, sunlight coming thru a window is WAY more intense than the brightest MH lighting.

I let sun into my tank sometimes with no ill effects at all. I am just curious as to why it doesnt hurt the corals (and appears to be recommended as good) but the simple change of wattage, par or k. temp of your light bulbs can cause havoc with corals.?

Any thoghts?

Beanfish
01/16/2009, 10:36 AM
I used to do it when my tank was near a window. It wroed well for me. The only problem I had was it would heat the tank up quite a bit during the summer. Just keep an eye on it for a while and see hiw it affects your tank. You should be fine.

Aaroneous
01/16/2009, 12:54 PM
Lots of threads on here about this. This is a good one: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=1299449&perpage=62 Sunlight definitely seems beneficial.

LockeOak
01/16/2009, 01:18 PM
You have to acclimate very, very slowly to natural sunlight due to its intensity. I recently lost most of a tank due to way too much sunlight and temperature fluctuations. If it's only an hour or two a day, that's probably fine, but prolonged direct sunlight can be too much.