PDA

View Full Version : halfway tank

Byronc
01/16/2009, 04:29 AM
Right now I have two nano reefs (20 and 30 gal.) and I am looking to upgrade to one larger tank (preferably around 100 gallons). I'm graduating college in a few months and I will most likely be moving out of the state so I am very reluctant to pay loads of money on my dream tank just to have to break the whole thing down to move to my new job. I see this time to grow out my corals and build my fish collection. Problem is that I have been given a juvenile hippo tang that obviously wont even come close to fitting in either one of my current tanks. I was thinking about creating an inexpensive "halfway tank" out of a large Rubbermaid tub with a sump. I would consolidate my two current tanks into the larger one and grow everything out. It would be a top view only tank for about 5 months until I get settled into my new living situation. I already have to pumps, skimmers and lights that will be needed. I really can't give up the tang because my girlfriend is already attached. Plus I love building crap so it will give me a reason to plan out an extra tank.

Questions: Is this a horrible idea? Is there a better way to do this? What do I need to know about these tubs (food safe, drilling, cost, sizes, etc.)?

Any helpful links would be appreciated.

aquaman67
01/16/2009, 07:41 AM
You can use a rubbermaid stock tank.

Or check craigslist for a large cheap tank.

Or check with a LFS to see if they'll hold the tang for you.

Or you could check for a club nearby to ask someone to hold him for you.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=537

Gwynhidwy
01/16/2009, 07:45 AM
I think that is a good plan, and top view tanks are often just as beautiful as full view tanks and you won't have to worry about breaking it during the move. Plus, the tub can be easily reused for lots of things.

I think your best bet is to use one of the stock tanks that Rubbermaid makes, they are safe, come in sizes from 50 to 300gallons, have a drain plug in the bottom, and are very sturdy. Here's a link to a 150 gallon one, though with the cost of shipping its probably cheaper to get them locally.
http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/pd.272/hc-stock-tank-150-gallon.aspx

You can often find them for sale used for cheap or can buy them new at any farm supply/feed store and many hardware/garden stores. I know some people drill the tub itself, but I've seen a lot of people who just plumb it like a sump and have the pipes come up out of the top of the tub instead of through the side.

stylolvr
01/16/2009, 07:45 AM
Rubbermaid tubs work great - just replace the stock bulkhead with one of your own (from your LFS). I agree that setting up a tank just to have to break it down again is not a very fun idea.

Be sure to post pics of whatever you decide.

stylolvr
01/16/2009, 07:46 AM
Plus, if you get one of the 100gal stock tank, you could use it as a sump when you do move and get the new tank set up.

Byronc
01/16/2009, 08:58 PM
I'm definitely going to build the top down. I'm split between the 150 and 100 gallon Rubbermaid tubs. Does anyone know a site that has the dimensions of these things? I tried finding them on the Rubbermaid site with no success. I'm wondering if there is a large difference in footprint between each one. If anyone has some links that they know of around here to some builds of top down tanks it would be appreciated. I'll keep an update of the build as it progresses. .

Byronc
01/16/2009, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14168175#post14168175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gwynhidwy
I think that is a good plan, and top view tanks are often just as beautiful as full view tanks and you won't have to worry about breaking it during the move. Plus, the tub can be easily reused for lots of things.

I think your best bet is to use one of the stock tanks that Rubbermaid makes, they are safe, come in sizes from 50 to 300gallons, have a drain plug in the bottom, and are very sturdy. Here's a link to a 150 gallon one, though with the cost of shipping its probably cheaper to get them locally.
http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/pd.272/hc-stock-tank-150-gallon.aspx

You can often find them for sale used for cheap or can buy them new at any farm supply/feed store and many hardware/garden stores. I know some people drill the tub itself, but I've seen a lot of people who just plumb it like a sump and have the pipes come up out of the top of the tub instead of through the side.

As far as drilling, I think I am going to eliminate the need to right now by creating the refugium area inside of the tub. It will essentially be a giant all in one tank.

noahm
01/16/2009, 09:52 PM
I believe that the 100 is approx 30" x 48, and the 150 is closer to 5' long but the same width. We used a couple as hidden sumps for a recirc outdoor stream.

Byronc
01/18/2009, 10:36 AM
I'm going to a feed store in a couple of days to pick up my tub, I decided to go with the 100 gal. due to space issues. Are there any food safe or animal safe labels I need to keep my eye out for? If so what do they look like?

Byronc
01/24/2009, 05:03 PM
I have been searching for the past few days trying to find other top down tanks on RC. If any one knows of any or has links to any that would help my planning a lot. Thanks.