PDA

View Full Version : Substrate Questions

bandr1002
01/16/2009, 11:08 AM
I am upgrading my current tank from a 60 gallon to a 75 gallon. My question, when I make the transfer of LR and substrate, do I need to clean the substrate? I have no fish, and only a few softies. I am going to treat it like a new set up and let it cycle for about a month before putting anything into it. The substrate will not be sitting out of the water, it is going straight into the bigger tank. Does it still need to be cleaned?

Zebodog
01/16/2009, 11:17 AM
If I were doing it, I would probably replace it with fresh substrate.

Fairly cheap insurance against potential problems caused by the old substrate releasing toxins when it gets moved stirred.

Of course, if you are going to let it sit for a month before stocking it will likely be fine.

happyclam
01/16/2009, 11:18 AM
Unless you have some sort of infestation or it is clogged with detritus, I see no need to clean the sand. This "cured live sand" will also help you cycle the new tank.

PS: I don't think you can really "clean" live sand, apart from swirling it around in a bucket of saltwater, but that could be harmful to any live critters.

PSS: I'm a newbie, so you might not want to listen to my advice. Good Luck!

Toddrtrex
01/16/2009, 11:18 AM
Hard to say without doing it.

For sure you should be able to transfer over the top layer -- that should be nice and clean.

If they bottom layers are full of detritus I would clean it first.

Really think you are going to have to play it by ear.

I recently did something similar -- 29 to 33 cube -- I put in new sand, and then took the top layer and transferred it over. Was going to use all of it, but it was dirtier then I expected it to be.

bandr1002
01/16/2009, 01:30 PM
cool beans, thanks for the tips all