PDA

View Full Version : how to silicone baffles in sump for bubble trap?

pugmommie
01/16/2009, 06:12 PM
I have one piece already siliconed in. When I add the other piece of glass how do I get the silicone on both sides of the glass with out making a mess?

MotherFish
01/16/2009, 06:17 PM
I silicone both sides of the baffle that is raised because it needs the extra support strength.
The baffles that sit on the bottom of the tank are fine just being siliconed on one side because their weight is supported by the tank.

pugmommie
01/16/2009, 06:19 PM
But I already did one that sits on the bottom, cause I wasn't gonna do a bubble trap, but now I have bubbles and need to fix. Was trying to do it without removing what I had already done.

Klaus777
01/16/2009, 06:20 PM
You'll have to lay a thick bead on the tank where you want to put the baffle, then move the glass into position. If you don't like the way it's turning out, do not remove the glass to fix it. It will only make the problem worse. Just try to work with what's already been done. Also, you really only need to make a really good seal on the edge that you can work on so don't worry about perfection.
Good Luck!

pugmommie
01/16/2009, 06:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14172768#post14172768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Klaus777
You'll have to lay a thick bead on the tank where you want to put the baffle, then move the glass into position. If you don't like the way it's turning out, do not remove the glass to fix it. It will only make the problem worse. Just try to work with what's already been done. Also, you really only need to make a really good seal on the edge that you can work on so don't worry about perfection.
Good Luck!

Thank you, that was very helpful. I think I'll put a straight edge on the outside of the tank that I can use as a guide for the silicone.

Klaus777
01/16/2009, 06:28 PM
I marked it with painter's tape on the inside leaving room for the silicon edge. That way it gives a good clean look. Just peel the tape off right after the silicon and glass have been laid.

MotherFish
01/16/2009, 06:30 PM
Klaus is right on the money. :thumbsup:

pugmommie
01/16/2009, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14172830#post14172830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Klaus777
I marked it with painter's tape on the inside leaving room for the silicon edge. That way it gives a good clean look. Just peel the tape off right after the silicon and glass have been laid.

So it does not smear when you pull off tape?
Also I would be worries about the tape coming off easily that is between the glass.

Jason Donohoe
01/16/2009, 08:22 PM
When putting my baffles in I did this:

Installed the raised baffle first, 1 inch off the bottom. It was supported underneath with 1" blocks of wood until the silicone set. It was also held in place with tape. The tape and wood were removed when the silicone had set (I left it 48 hrs).

To place the first and third baffles I marked the outside of the tank with Sharpie marker. It is important to leave 1" between baffles, do not install them 1" on centre. To apply the silicone to both sides I used a left over piece of 1/2" pvc tubing. I put a bunch of silicone on the end, reached down between the baffles and smeared it up the joint. It is not pretty but it sure is solid! These baffles were also held in place until they set.

I don't think you will have a problem using the same method to install your other baffles even though you already have one done. Install the raised baffle next, support it with blocks and tape and install the third baffle 1 to 2 days later when you can remove the blocks.

Good luck!

Klaus777
01/16/2009, 10:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14173479#post14173479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pugmommie
So it does not smear when you pull off tape?
Also I would be worries about the tape coming off easily that is between the glass.

Don't bother putting the tape between the baffle you already have and the one you're installing. It will not be worth the trouble it causes. I guarantee it will smear silicon onto the glass and you won't be able to scrap it off. Just use it on the side you can easily access. And yes pull the tape off while the silicon is wet, if you wait until it drys it will pull much more off than you want.