PDA

View Full Version : Less frustrating Ca test kit?

Jason Donohoe
01/16/2009, 06:53 PM
I am a little frustrated with my Ca test.

I am currently using the IO test kit. I find the colour change difficult to appreciate. It turns from pink/red to a purple but seems to change over the course of a few drops.

Is there a Ca test with a clearer end point?

Thanks.

RokleM
01/16/2009, 07:38 PM
Elos is extremely easy to use and there is little question as to the endpoint.

Jason Donohoe
01/16/2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

bertoni
01/17/2009, 01:33 AM
I got better results with the IO kits when I waited a full minute after the solution turned purple, and then continued the titration.

Todd March
01/17/2009, 02:31 AM
As bertoni mentioned, waiting after each drop is the key to a lot of Ca tests...

Like Eric, I really like Elos's kit, but you have to shake and then wait a minute. It often turns blueish, but then slowly reverts back to a more purple hue. When the titration stays blue after a good minute, it's only then that you can trust your reading...

marineaddict
01/17/2009, 09:09 AM
I like Elos and antother option is the Salifert tests - Very easy to use. Currently using one now.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2009, 09:21 AM
I find the Salifert kit easy to use, and when I've checked it years ago it was accurate as best I could tell. :)

Jason Donohoe
01/17/2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try waiting longer after each drop when I get close to the end (expected end). When I run out of reagents for the IO kit I think I will try the Elos or Salifert.

Todd March
01/17/2009, 03:25 PM
The Salifert is a good Ca test, though it tends to read about 20ppm higher than the Elos, and I know at times (such as when forgetting to turn the doser back on) that the Elos has to be more accurate...

But with the Salifert the titration change is almost instantaneous and you don't have to wait longer than 10 seconds or so, IME...

Mike O'Brien
01/17/2009, 03:51 PM
I like the Elos test kit too, but I seem to run out of reagent A way before B. Other kit's I've used were the opposite. They could get way more tests out of the kit by adding more A.

Todd March
01/17/2009, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14178389#post14178389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike O'Brien
I like the Elos test kit too, but I seem to run out of reagent A way before B. Other kit's I've used were the opposite. They could get way more tests out of the kit by adding more A.

+1, totally agree...

Mike O'Brien
01/17/2009, 04:15 PM
LOL. Last week I ran out of A on the Elos, so I pulled out an old API kit and ran out of B. Go figure.... :(

RokleM
01/18/2009, 06:20 PM
If I recall properly, Jesse@elos has mentioned supplying specific kit parts to your LFS if they're a reseller in the past. I don't know if the reagent A is one of them.

saltaholic
01/18/2009, 08:08 PM
I just bought today Red Sea's calcium, magn, nitrate test kits. I wanted to compare to my other kits which consist of salifert and some others. The kits were 10-13 dollars a kit. I am very pleased and considering that they are half the price of others is a major factor as well. Colors were much easier to read for nitrates compared to salifert. Calc and magn. were distinct color changes. The calcium reads in 10 ppm increments. My point is to not discredit any of the others but to point out cheap but reliable comparisons which I think is a important practice when using any type or brand of test kits.

bertoni
01/19/2009, 12:50 AM
My Red Sea kits expired very quickly, which apparently is fairly common, due to their liquid reagent design. Mine went back to the store. They do seem to generate a lot of complaints.

saltaholic
01/19/2009, 01:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14188613#post14188613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
My Red Sea kits expired very quickly, which apparently is fairly common, due to their liquid reagent design. Mine went back to the store. They do seem to generate a lot of complaints.

Interesting, have to keep an eye on them. As of now, I am getting matched results among the different brands. Always wonder if results are accurate enough to depend on. Why I like a variety. Thinking your able to feed the way you have been only to find that your polluting the hell out of your tank because a reputable/non reputable test kit said that waste was in check :mad: Anyway just babbling carry on:bum: