PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cayman and Cozumel advise

Masterderrull
01/17/2009, 08:17 AM
I'm so excited! I leave on a cruise that will be stopping at Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Jamaca. I'm not a certified diver, but i love snorkeling and aready have my days totaly planed out. I was wondering if any body had any suggestions for me, besides not hurting the reef? I was thinking of taking some hot dogs and bread with me for the different types of marine life. They say in Grand Cayman that there's sea turtles, moray eels, lobsters, and octopus, along with the huge number of surgen generals, and parrot fish. Here's a link that helped me plan my day in Grand Cayman - sounds awesome. http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/O...eSnorkeling.htm

KarenLM
01/18/2009, 09:09 PM
Well first of all you have already hurt the reef by signing up for a cruise. Cruise ships are destroying the oceans reefs. Cozumel used to have beautiful reefs but now since the cruise ships invaded the sinobacteria has destroyed the reefs 100 yards out from the shore. Too many people brings too much waste. If you want to feed the fish get frozen green peas not bread and hot dogs. I don't recommend feeding the fish at all. Take a discover scuba course and become a diver. You will soon find out how you can help save the reefs and see first hand the destruction man has caused.

iamwrasseman
01/18/2009, 09:48 PM
on grand caymen island they have a tour that you can snorkel with the stingrays ,its pretty awesome . there are hundreds of them and they have learned to come into the cove and eat .probably from fishermen cutting up fish that have been caught and discarding the "leftovers" . its a blast ,i've done it a few times IMO its worth the half day boat tour . i must admitt that its getting a bit comercalized but were all running out of time so check it out !if you go dont bring any food they supply it and if you have a bunch the stingrays will swarm you . i put some squid in my pocket , boy what a mistake !

ximmortaldeathx
01/21/2009, 04:43 PM
Be warned, water in cozumel is VERY cold, on my last trip i got very sick from the cold water.

the water is VERY blue and pure.

on the other hand cayman water is full of life and you will have more fun not to mention its much warmer.

Enjoy some cuban rum while youre there :), just dont buy the cigars there fake.

craftedpacket
01/21/2009, 05:07 PM
Water in cozumel cold? If you consider 80 degree water cold then yes. I dive in Cozumel in the winter without a wetsuit.

The water temperature ranges between 76 and 78 in the winter months (Dec, Jan, Feb); 78 and 80 in the Spring (March through May) and warms up to 82 - 84 in the summer months.

ximmortaldeathx
01/21/2009, 05:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14209624#post14209624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by craftedpacket
Water in cozumel cold? If you consider 80 degree water cold then yes. I dive in Cozumel in the winter without a wetsuit.

i went jan 20th of last yr, water was about 70 degrees. YES that is cold.

iamwrasseman
01/21/2009, 07:39 PM
didnt notice the water temp i think i was too excited to notice . we are talking mexico correct ?

DOTZ
01/21/2009, 07:44 PM
You'll love it!!! I went on a cruise to cayman islands and cozumel.

IMHO Cozumel sucked. snorkling sucked and so did the place. Stunk real bad and everyone was grabbing at you to buy stuff. Cayman islands on the other hand was awesome. As soon as you get off the boat go left till you will see a blue shack and a trampoline in the water. That shack you can rent the gear for about 15.00 a person with unlimited time. I spent about 5 or 6 hour in the water there.

iamwrasseman
01/21/2009, 07:58 PM
i gotta agree with you ,the only reason i like cozumel is that i got engaged there ! but grand cayman is one of the nicest places i've been for a day !

Sloeber
01/22/2009, 02:08 PM
If you took a cruise, you didn't see Cozumel. I honestly don't understand why anyone would pay to go on a cruise. They just shuttle you from one port to the next so you can step on an island and buy their wares. If you actually want to experience an island, stay far away from cruise ships.

If I was stuck on a cruise, however, the first thing I would do is grab a taxi and have it take me as far away from the cruise ship dock as possible. Until you leave the area you won't get to experience the island. There is ZERO culture surrounding the docks anywhere you go by boat. It would be comparable to taking an airline vacation and never leaving the airport and saying you saw the island and didn't like it.

Are the locals going to try to sell you stuff? Sure... at the cruise ship docks. I don't care what island you go to, it is all the same. When I visit islands I create a hypothetical bubble around the cruise ship docks, and do not enter that bubble at any cost. It's not like I return to the aiport daily to buy stuff, so why would I go to the docks?

That being said, most the reefs in Cozumel are deep water reefs and not suitable for snorkel (thanks to cruise ships). If snorkeling is your only choice, go to the marine park at the far end of the island (coicidence it is far far away form the cruise ship docks?).

Cozumel is a wonderfully fantastic island, but you won't understand that in matter of 24 hours or less.

There should be no reason to feed any fish anywhere you go so I wouldn't concern myself with it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to see everything you want without chumming for them.

Click my little red box above to see pics from topside and below of Cozumel (as well as several other islands).

HTH

iamwrasseman
01/22/2009, 04:46 PM
i wish i had the money to go to a single destination , and i agree with you that you must experience the whole place and we did not . however we did take a "left" and go down a few blocks which changed quickly and had authentic mexican supper which was great in a mexican way . i wish that i could do the right thing as you said but with the given time we did more than most . i will also add that i said i agreed to DOTZs quote only in comparison ,it was heaven in its own way just a bit to over commercilized as it must be to get everyones money into thier pockets as would be expected .the cruise costs $1100 for me and my wife and it was a nice vacation but way to comemercilized as i already stated . i have been on a bunch of cruises and we try to get the most ovt of every day 7am till 3am and back at it using all that we paid for .we did go to aruba for a week and honestly there is alot more to do when you have one destination .

ximmortaldeathx
01/22/2009, 04:50 PM
Cruises are an easy way to disconnect from the world and not have to worry about a single thing.

i dont agree that being on a cruise is being stuck.

also, cruises are cheap !!

iamwrasseman
01/22/2009, 04:52 PM
we have a blast on cruises for the money they are awesome ! also get to see alot of different cultures in one week .

craftedpacket
01/22/2009, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14216474#post14216474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hcs3
If you took a cruise, you didn't see Cozumel. I honestly don't understand why anyone would pay to go on a cruise. They just shuttle you from one port to the next so you can step on an island and buy their wares. If you actually want to experience an island, stay far away from cruise ships.

If I was stuck on a cruise, however, the first thing I would do is grab a taxi and have it take me as far away from the cruise ship dock as possible. Until you leave the area you won't get to experience the island. There is ZERO culture surrounding the docks anywhere you go by boat. It would be comparable to taking an airline vacation and never leaving the airport and saying you saw the island and didn't like it.

Are the locals going to try to sell you stuff? Sure... at the cruise ship docks. I don't care what island you go to, it is all the same. When I visit islands I create a hypothetical bubble around the cruise ship docks, and do not enter that bubble at any cost. It's not like I return to the aiport daily to buy stuff, so why would I go to the docks?

That being said, most the reefs in Cozumel are deep water reefs and not suitable for snorkel (thanks to cruise ships). If snorkeling is your only choice, go to the marine park at the far end of the island (coicidence it is far far away form the cruise ship docks?).

Cozumel is a wonderfully fantastic island, but you won't understand that in matter of 24 hours or less.

There should be no reason to feed any fish anywhere you go so I wouldn't concern myself with it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to see everything you want without chumming for them.

Click my little red box above to see pics from topside and below of Cozumel (as well as several other islands).

HTH

I agree. I have been to cozumel about 6 times now. The last time we rented a scooter during our non diving time and toured the island. Went through the "city" and ate at local restaurants off the beaten path, stopped at a really small but fun paletaria (sp?). I have made friends there with locals and went out and had a few beers with them. Its a really fun island. The first two times I went there it was on a cruise ship. But thanks to my diving instructor who introduced me to a great dive shop/operator I dont think I would do another cruise again. Especially not a Caribbean one.

A cruise is a good way to get a taste of different places you might want to go back and visit. And they are "cheap" which is always good. But for diving a cruise is not the way to go.

craftedpacket
01/22/2009, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217682#post14217682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ximmortaldeathx
Cruises are an easy way to disconnect from the world and not have to worry about a single thing.

i dont agree that being on a cruise is being stuck.

I agree its nice having full time room service and food 24 hours a day! Cruises are a lot of fun. I am 26 and i have noticed that, at least on the 2 I have been on, we were definitely some of the youngest people there. Both times have been on Royal Caribbean leaving out of Galveston.

But if your into diving and really exploring the culture, I would try to make it back to Cozumel for a week or so. You will enjoy it. Especially if you make it during Carnival.

Sloeber
01/23/2009, 06:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217658#post14217658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwrasseman
the cruise costs $1100 for me and my wife and it was a nice vacation but way to comemercilized as i already stated . i have been on a bunch of cruises and we try to get the most ovt of every day 7am till 3am and back at it using all that we paid for .we did go to aruba for a week and honestly there is alot more to do when you have one destination .

Is that price with or without airfare? If with, thats nice. If without, you can do similar on many islands, probably even less, if you are a savvy traveler and don't need a name-brand resort. You will spend very little time at the resort, so no need to go nutty on the Hilton or similar. Many times my largest expense on a trip is alcohol (I enjoy the party atmosphere nightly when I travel) so if you aren't the partier your costs can really be cut. Just mentioning that because many cruise ships include alcohol, a huge cost of the trip, and if you aren't a heavy drinker... it's like flushing money down the toilet.

Sloeber
01/23/2009, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217682#post14217682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ximmortaldeathx

You get what you pay for.

Also, I see you are from Florida. Assuming you leave on your cruises from Miami and you can drive to your port of call, that is a huge cost savings. I'm not that lucky in central Illinois, much the same as most Americans. I have to drive several hours just to get to an airport so I can fly. Airfare to Miami (or Texas, or where ever) hurts when I can just arrive somewhere Caribbean for merely $100 - 200 more and 2+ hours of travel time.

craftedpacket
01/23/2009, 06:09 PM
Not sure where everyone is located but when I fly to cozumel I go through worryfreevacations.com. Super cheap round trip to cozumel and other Caribbean destinations.

craftedpacket
01/23/2009, 06:10 PM
Funjet usually has good prices too.

Sloeber
01/23/2009, 06:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217710#post14217710 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by craftedpacket
I agree. I have been to cozumel about 6 times now. The last time we rented a scooter during our non diving time and toured the island. Went through the "city" and ate at local restaurants off the beaten path, stopped at a really small but fun paletaria (sp?). I have made friends there with locals and went out and had a few beers with them. Its a really fun island. The first two times I went there it was on a cruise ship. But thanks to my diving instructor who introduced me to a great dive shop/operator I dont think I would do another cruise again. Especially not a Caribbean one.

A cruise is a good way to get a taste of different places you might want to go back and visit. And they are "cheap" which is always good. But for diving a cruise is not the way to go.

One of my favorite parts of Coz was the backside beach. Incredible. Somehtign you simply won't see just about anywhere else in the world.

When I took taxis in Coz for dining out I would tellt he cab driver, "take me to your favorite restaurant." If they arrived in a commericalized place, I'd restate my desires, this time with in emphisis on "your favorite." You won;t find food and dining opportunities like that anywhere associated with cruises.

I agree with you in regards to see many places with a cruise, but when I travel, I, and anyone lucky enough to be in my presence, is pretty well assured of a fun experience, be it Cozumel, or Alaska. So I'm willin got forego the cruise and many desitation experience, fully expecting to see anywhere a cruise can take me for a week, not 24 hours. That is assuming I live foreever :p

Sloeber
01/23/2009, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14226248#post14226248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by craftedpacket
Not sure where everyone is located but when I fly to cozumel I go through worryfreevacations.com. Super cheap round trip to cozumel and other Caribbean destinations.

Exactly. Flying from Chicago to Miami isn't much cheaper than just going direct to Coz. Or the Bahamas, etc.

Reefbox
01/23/2009, 06:24 PM
Grand cayman is awesome. I was there for a week this summer. Pricey but worth it.

Eden rock is the trampoline in water spot, right by the ships. nice snorkelling.

The grand marriott has artificail reef balls in ther water. we stayed there and snorkelled allday long. it's on 7 mile beach. i saw octopus, barracuda, and a million other things there.

Cemetary beach is also worth visiting.
swimming/snorkelling on the stingray trip w marvins was the best.

How long u going to b on cayman?

craftedpacket
01/23/2009, 09:16 PM
Cayman is cool, everything was more expensive then Cozumel and seemed a bit more commercialized. Even a hamburger at McDonalds was around 10 bucks US. It was a neat place but I feel there is better diving in the Cozumel area.

Roatan Honduras is really cool as well, but its pretty expensive to fly there.

billsreef
01/24/2009, 10:59 AM
The diving in Cayman is very different than Cozumel. Wall diving vs. drift diving, and different reef structure as well. Both are excellent places to dive. The economy in Cayman is much stronger than Cozumel, so yes things are more expensive there. For not much more than that $10 big mac, you can eat real local food, so no need to pay for fast food ;) The problem with going to these places on a cruise is that you just don't have the time to see the best of either one. The advantage is lots of drinking in between ports without having to drive :D

gregmoeck
01/27/2009, 07:02 AM
sting ray city grand cayman for snorkeling