PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock?

sbeane
01/17/2009, 08:12 PM
I am planning on growing just coral in a seperate tank. Do i need live rock? Do i need a fish or 2?

rort
01/17/2009, 08:36 PM
You are starting a Frag tank? Or a Coral only tank?

I always recommend you use LR for any tank except a Quarantine Tank. Supplies the tank with proper micro organisms and things we cant see/test for/ understand that helps our systems thrive.

On the fish side, I would say yes and now. I know a lot of people who use fish like mandarin gobies, or sand sifters that help with cleaning the tank.

SVTour
01/17/2009, 08:36 PM
Are you just looking for a prop tank? You would not need fish for sure...LR may help but I don't think it's required. You may want to use some LR rubble for the coral to attach to though.

Are you planning to tie this in to your existing tank, or have it run as a seperate system?

troyman
01/18/2009, 06:04 AM
living rock is your natural filter if you dont have it you have to depend on bio balls for your nitrate build up to keep water clean after awhile nitrates build up to high with the bioballs that and coral dont mix well go with all the rock you can afford

toothman
01/18/2009, 08:19 AM
I would try to attach your prop tank to your main tank, it is not hard as long as the tank is higher than your sump on the main tank. I also like to have a yellow tang in the prop tank it really will keep it clean.