PDA

View Full Version : Baffled with high ALK issue??

StupidsReef
01/17/2009, 10:13 PM
For some reason I seem to be holding a higher than normal ALK level. I'm testing off the chart of Salifert test kits and not sure why. All other parm's are in check other than ALK & Calcuim.

When testing I come up higher than the test kit goes on both??

I've used two different kit's. My kit & my best friends kit. Both test his water with the same readings. Both are Salifert.

AlK @ 8.3
Calk @ 470

But when I test my water, well the color didn't change on either test.

I've been fighting with my ALK for about 4 month's now it was testing in @ 15 to 16 so I was doing water changes. I could get it down to about 13, but it seem's to creep back up again. I quite adding anything. Pickling lime was really the only thing I did dosed, but I've stopped.

I'm using a 50/50 mix of Oceanic & corallife salt when doing WC.
1)Can my Calcium Reactor have anything to do with it??
I have a GEO618 with ARM media.
or
2)My GFO unit?? Dual unit with GFO pellets from BRS.

I'm baffled, my PH is @ 8.3 and all the other water parm's are in check other than the ALK. And I'm not sure how high the Calcium is as it never changes color either. Yet all of my sps are growing as are the LPS and softy's. Acro's, Scroll, Monit's,Acons, Frogspawn's, Leather's nothing is showing signs of stress, But I can't get the ALK down. I'm scared that the ALK will crash the corals.

Any help would be appreciated.

chadfarmer
01/17/2009, 11:40 PM
turn the calcium reactor off for a week and see if your alk drops or even 3 days

bertoni
01/18/2009, 02:13 AM
You should be able to use a second syringe and then add the results. I'd turn the reactor off for a bit.

JCR's Reef
01/18/2009, 02:17 AM
Did you mix up some fresh saltwater and test the alk in that?
Alot of people are having high alk reading from the salt mix.

Percula9
01/18/2009, 11:25 PM
I think your question whether your calcium reactor has something to do with your high alk is a little funny. The media in the reactor is calcium carbonate. When it dissolves it not only raises calcium, but also carbonate which is alkalinity. I agree with the others to shut it down until alk comes down to a normal level. I stopped using oceanic when a batch was measuring 16dkh after mixing. Try Ocean Pure Pro by Via Aqua. Even though I don't care for their other products, I like the salt. Remember to do your homework before you proceed.

StupidsReef
01/19/2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the advise.

Percula9, What you said about Oceanic's salt mix is was I was thinking, however I can't test just it cause I mixed it with corallife. I'm making up a fresh batch of SW now and going to test it to see where the ALK is at, and I'm taken everyone's advise and shutting off the reactor for a few day's.

I'm leaning on it being the Oceanic salt as I never had an issue with Alk until this bucket.

Thank you all for your help.

michealprater
01/19/2009, 02:24 PM
How is your magnesium testing?

Billybeau1
01/19/2009, 05:37 PM
Oceanic is fairly low in alkalinity.

Are you sure you are not using any pH buffers like proper 8.3 ?

These buffers should not be used as they will raise alkalinity through the roof.

Percula9
01/19/2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Billy, out of curiosity have you tested a recent batch of Oceanic?

michealprater
01/19/2009, 08:22 PM
Just tested it yesterday myself. 10.4

Percula9
01/19/2009, 08:24 PM
What salinity did you test at?

Percula9
01/19/2009, 08:36 PM

tmz
01/20/2009, 01:01 AM
I agree with turning the reactor off for a bit but monitor your alk closely. You don't want to drop it precipitously. Even though you are mixing Oceanic with Coral Life I would still test the mixture to see if the alkalinity was out of line.

Billybeau1
01/20/2009, 12:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14194377#post14194377 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
Hi Billy, out of curiosity have you tested a recent batch of Oceanic?

No I haven't Perc. Is there reason to think they have changed their formula recently ?

I have no problem picking up a new batch to check. :D

After all. You know I'm a testing fool. :jester:

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2009, 12:17 PM
I recently heard from soemone who is intimately involved with the making of some of the biggest brands of salt mix that the formula(s) have recently been revised. :)

Billybeau1
01/20/2009, 12:41 PM
I'm on it. :D

I hope they lowered the calcium a bit too. :lol:

Me thinks someone has been reading our forum Randy. ;)

StupidsReef
01/20/2009, 03:04 PM
Michael, no I haven't tested the magnesium lately as my Salifert test is out of date now. I spent the test money on extra Alk & Cal kit's.

Billybeau1, No I haven't added any buffer's to the tank other than Pickling lime. That I was placing 12 T-spoons in the 55 gallon drum of top-off water. But I have stopped that as well.

I made up a batch of fresh saltwater that is mix with IO & Oceanic and @ 1.023 the Alk tested @ 10.9. However I try to shoot for 1.025 when making new saltwater as I keep my tank about 1.025 to 1.026. So I added more salt and I'm letting it mix for a day or so and will test it then. I make 55g at a time. I've shut the reactor off as of yesterday and will test the ALK today to see where it is at.

"I recently heard from soemone who is intimately involved with the making of some of the biggest brands of salt mix that the formula(s) have recently been revised."

I was unaware of this until now. I had bought the Oceanic due to my LFS was out of IO, a friend had given me some Corallife to mix with when I thought the Oceanic might be the cause. I will not be doing that mishap again, I'll go somewhere else and buy IO if their out. Me thinking stick with what you know ;)

I post results as soon as I can. Again thank you everyone.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2009, 03:06 PM
FWIW, I am not claiming the mix(es) I heard about was Oceanic, but I do not feel that I should give the info out. :)

Billybeau1
01/20/2009, 03:16 PM
Well since I can not pm you Randy, maybe you can pm me and give me a heads up so I can get to updating my thread. :)

michealprater
01/20/2009, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14194561#post14194561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9