PDA

View Full Version : Dosing molasses? Blackstrap?

OCEAN SIZE
01/17/2009, 10:32 PM
I'm curious - would dosing blackstrap (or another kind) of molasses be a better substitute for sugar?

Blackstrap has copper in it which is obviously a problem, but is used in commercial bacteria culturing. I wonder if other kinds would be a superior alternative though?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/18/2009, 08:29 AM
What would be "better" about it?

OCEAN SIZE
01/18/2009, 11:09 PM
Reduced likelihood of bacterial monoculture, since it seems more complex. There are trace elements in it as well;
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=118
Blackstrap evidently has iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, vit B6, and selenium, and there are 2 higher grades of molasses from here.

The site claims:
"Health Benefits - Blackstrap molasses is a sweetener that is actually good for you. Unlike refined white sugar and corn syrup, which are stripped of virtually all nutrients except simple carbohydrates, or artificial sweeteners like saccharine or aspartame, which not only provide no useful nutrients but have been shown to cause health problems in sensitive individuals, blackstrap molasses is a healthful sweetener that contains significant amounts of a variety of minerals that promote your health."

The copper is of obvious concern. If it is used to culture bacteria strains in other applications, it seems feasible it could be used in reef bacteria as a carbon source?

Whats your take?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/19/2009, 08:12 AM
I personally do not think there is any evidence for nor reasonable concern about monoculture issues when dosing ethanol or sugar or other normal organics to a reef tank that gets fish foods. And it they did, I'm not sure the molasses would be different. :)

OCEAN SIZE
01/19/2009, 03:20 PM
Cool. Thanks Randy, as always the fountain of knowledge. :)

I'm considering all options for supporting beneficial bacteria and want them to be happy, fruitful, multiply.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/19/2009, 04:22 PM
:lol:

Oh, they'll multiple all right. :D

You're welcome and happy reefing. :)